The Comic Book Corner: Marvel ladies taking the lead

CBC001
A collage of the new series (Black Widow, Ms. Marvel, She-Hulk, Captain Marvel, and Elektra from left-to-right).

Black Widow, Captain Marvel, She-Hulk and others return with new solo series

By Faith Orcino

A&E Editor

Within in the list of titles in the “All-New Marvel NOW!” phase, fans can find new books taking a more personal look at some of their favorite super women.

These stories take place after last year’s “Infinity” story arc and is a new chapter for the 2012 Marvel NOW! event. Four iconic characters are given the spotlight as well as one newcomer under a familiar name.

“Black Widow” – Released in January, readers are taken along the other side of Avenger Natasha Romanoff’s life. While most know her as a member of the lead heroic team, Romanoff still is an assassin.  Punisher writer works Nathan Edmonson with veteran artist Phil Noto to shed light on this private and covert side of Black Widow. The fourth issue will be out on March 12.

“Ms. Marvel” – In 2010, writer Brian Reed and his creative team released the last issue of “Ms. Marvel.”  Now a new creative team brought back this series with a new girl taking over the role.  Former DC Comics writer G. Willow Wilson and Runaways co-creator/artist Adrian Alphona combined their talents to introduce the new Ms. Marvel, Kamala Khan. This revival is very unique with the fact that Khan is the first Muslim character of the Marvel Universe to receive a solo book series.  Both editor Sana Amanat and writer Wilson are also Muslim and work to show the journey of the teen Pakistani American turned superhero. Issue Two will be on shelves on March 19.

“She-Hulk” – Jennifer Walters, cousin of Bruce Banner, is back with writer Charles Soule and lead artist Javier Pulido showing a closer look at the busy life of She-Hulk. Readers see her attempt to balance her time between her missions and some of the crazy lawsuits her firm gets.  Marvel employs the help of watercolor illustrator Kevin Wada to create beautiful covers of the single issues. March 5 is the release date of Issue Two.

“Captain Marvel” – A new chapter of Carol Danvers start with the re-launch of “Captain Marvel”.  Writer Kelly Sue DeConnick returns with artist David Lopez as Danvers travels a different path that is far from home.  During her first run as the Captain, she faced many of her past demons including the very being that gave her the powers she has now. After dealing with these conflicts, Danvers will have new adventures ahead of her and more ways to prove she is “Earth’s Mightiest Hero”. The first issue will be available in print on March 12.

“Elektra” – The assassin in red, Elektra Natchios goes on her own with a new series to be released in April.  Former co-writer of Batwoman, Haden Blackman and veteran Marvel artist Mike Del Mundo plan to show a more graceful side to Elektra, as mentioned in a Q&A session with Blackman.  The book will be about her trying to find a way out of the dark world she lived in New York for many years.

For more information on any of these series, visit your local comic vendor or Marvel.com