Graduation 2014 Message from the President

Three women cheering
James S Mickelson
President Haynes celebrates the USU opening. Photo by Office of Communications.
Three women cheering

On behalf of the California State University San Marcos administration, faculty and staff, I extend my heartfelt congratulations to you, the Class of 2014. You have reached an incredible milestone in your life and your commencement ceremony celebrates your hard work and achievement in completing a rigorous and demanding course of study. You should be proud of what you have achieved, as should all those who have supported you in your journey.

You have each taken a different path to get to this moment. Some of you navigated through college full time; others have taken a longer route, combining work and family obligations with your academic pursuits. Nearly 50 percent of you are the first in your families to earn a four-year degree. You are veterans, former foster youth, non-traditional students, underrepresented students. You are what make Cal State San Marcos such a unique and vibrant university.

I sincerely commend you on your accomplishments. Your reaching commencement demonstrates your fortitude, your resolve, your determination. You exemplify the best that CSUSM has to offer in our graduates and I hope that you will recall your time here fondly. As alumni, you — the Class of 2014 — will join an extraordinary group of individuals who represent hope, creativity and a true passion for lifelong learning. I am delighted that you chose Cal State San Marcos and I wish you all the very best in your futures.

Karen Haynes, Ph.D.

President