WHERE DOES ALL OF OUR TUITION GO? The hidden benefits students don’t know about

BY SANDRA CHALMERS

EDITOR-IN-CHIEF

photos courtesy of csusm.edu

The tuition fee students pay each semester covers more than just academic classes.  Programs and services CSUSM offers its students are funded and operated by portions of paid tuition.

Thinking about a gym membership, but worried about the sky-high monthly rates?   A portion of the University Student Union (USU) fee covers a semester long gym membership to the Clarke Field House. Included in students’ tuition is an ASI student recreation fee of $12 that serves in conjunction with the gym membership at the Clarke that provides free fitness classes. Students can enjoy hip-hop, Ashtanga Yoga, cycling, Jiu-Jitsu, and Zumba salsa lessons at the Clarke all semester long.

“The goal of ASI events and programs is never to make a profit for ASI, but rather to provide diverse opportunities for all CSUSM students to engage in campus life in ways that help them experience a sense of community with their fellow students and feel connected to the university,” said Rodger D’Andréas, Interim Executive Director for ASI.

The $50 ASI fee funds our favorite semester dance events, the Masquerade Ball and the Spring Fling, while also supporting diverse programs made to service the students.

“These fees fund student programming provided by the ASI Board of Directors, Campus Activities Board, Women’s Center, and LGBTQ Pride Center,” continued D’Andréas.

“What ASI does for the students and what it pays for is ASI as the official voice of the students, according to the chancellor of the CSU.

We represent you, at larger scales, and meet with other CSUs every month and talk about the issues our students are facing,” said Amanda Riley, the current Vice President of External Affairs for ASI.

ASI responded to students’ needs as finals week fasts approaches. Susana Figueroa, ASI President, met with President Haynes and library officials to extend our library hours.  The library now offers special extended hours on the 2nd floor, from 6 a.m to midnight Monday – Thursday, Dec. 6 – 9.

“It was really something I felt our school was behind on. Other school’s libraries are open for 24 hours during finals,” said Figueroa.

Another main portion of tuition supports our USU.

“The $140 that is notated as the “Student Union Fee” is tied to both The Clarke, which currently serves as both a Student Union and a Field House, and the future USU construction project,” said Sara Quinn, Director of the Clarke Field House, and the Executive Director of the University Student Union Advisory Board.

This new building will be located west of the Chavez Steps on the old parking lot T, next to the Kellogg Library.

“We anticipate starting construction once all building code approvals are complete around February 2012 and completion of construction in August of 2013 and occupancy no later than Spring semester 2014,”  said Bradly Fenton, Director of Planning, Design and Construction.

“We expect the USU will be a very wonderful place on campus and a place all students will be proud to call their own,” continued Fenton.

Other valued services paid by our tuition include the Student Health and Counseling Center.  No co-payments are required to schedule an appointment. Services offered to students include flu treatment, cold, sinus infections, pregnancy testing, physical exams and much more. Additional lab work may require a supplementary fee.

Many of these fees were voted on and approved by past CSUSM students through fee referendums.