Students pledge to prevent sexual assault

Nicole Holman, Community News Editor

Students took the pledge to put an end to sexual assault at the It’s On Us event on campus.

On Thursday, Nov. 11, students gathered in Cesar Chavez Plaza during U-Hour to participate in the event, which featured information on recognizing and aiding in the prevention of sexual assault on college campuses.

It’s On Us is a non-profit organization that strives to bring awareness of the misconceptions of sexual assault to college campuses across the country. The organization has gained notoriety lately from their commercials, which have gained worldwide recognition for providing information about consent.

The pledge of It’s On Us was repeated throughout the banner signing as students read aloud from pledge cards, saying:

“I pledge to recognize that non-consensual sex is sexual assault, to identify situations in which sexual assault may occur, to intervene in situations where consent has not or cannot be given, to create an environment in which sexual assault is unacceptable and survivors are supported.”

One student in attendance, Anna Vasquez said, “I think events like these are the most relevant to our time. People are becoming more aware of what sexual assault can actually look like. It’s necessary for college students to understand consent.”

Booths were set up to offer students informational pamphlets explaining the importance of consent. The event also highlighted common misconceptions of consent that may be more prominent on college campuses, such as consent within relationships and when students choose to consume alcohol.

“Some people think that if you’re dating someone you always have to consent, but that’s not true,” said Vasquez. “The same goes for if you’re drinking. When you’re under the influence you can’t consent and that’s scary. Our media doesn’t address issues like that but it happens a lot more than we’d like to admit.”

The event lasted through U-Hour and ended with many pages filled with students’ signatures pledging to stand up against sexual assault and to not be bystanders if they were to see something suspicious.

For more information about It’s On Us and to learn how to get involved in the prevention of sexual assault on campus, visit itsonus.org.