SDSU professor of Women’s Studies addresses misconceptions of Muslim women

Queer and Feminist Lecture Series challenges stereotypes

Cesia Cano, Staff Writer

The Queer and Feminist Lecture Series challenged the stereotypes surrounding Muslim women and the misconceptions of their culture.

The installment of the series took place on Nov. 18 with guest speaker Dr. Huma Ahmed-Ghosh, professor in the Department of Women’s Studies at San Diego State University.

Ahmed-Ghosh has done extensive research on the lives of Islamic women, expressing that one of the things that pushed her farther on this topic was the way she was viewed after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center. She grew tired of fighting a war on identity and put it upon herself to bring light to this issue.

Many publications tend to be political and follow in the direction of portraying Islamic women as being oppressed and battered, according to Ahmed-Ghosh. During the lecture, it was mentioned that there is a misconception that women who are covered are oppressed. Ahmed-Ghosh said that women who make the choice of converting to the Islamic religion are respected by their community and gain a sense of stature.

Her two recently published books, “Contesting Feminisms: Gender and Islam in Asia,” and “Asian Muslim Women: Globalization and Local Realities,” are intended to deconstruct the misunderstood identity of Muslim women and to give agency as well as better understanding of this topic.

The biggest thing Ahmed-Ghosh hopes that people take from reading her books is, “the diversity in Muslim women, there’s not only one Muslim woman.”

Dr. Ahmed-Ghosh said that one needs to have a deep cultural understanding before making any conclusions or judgments. She also recommends that students read the news from different parts of the world.