These are a few of Faith’s favorite things

Comic Book Corner

Faith Orcino, Arts & Entertainment Editor

There are so many comics and over the past three years I covered only a tiny portion of what are on the shelves. It has been an absolute pleasure to provide recommendations and reviews of interesting books for all to check out. Before this semester ends, I would like to leave one last entry of the Comic Book Corner.

“The Disappearance of Yuki-chan”
Writer Nagaru Tanigawa’s “Haruhi Suzumiya” series has taken flight since its 2003 release. Adapted into a manga and anime series with a movie, the latest installment of Tanigawa’s universe with the artist Puyo brings readers to an alternate reality with familiar faces. Unlike the world in the “Haruhi” books, there are no supernatural or science fiction hijinks in the “The Disappearance of Yuki-chan” manga, neither is Haruhi Suzumiya the ‘god.’ Instead, the human Yuki Nagato takes center stage in a normal high school setting alongside her friends Ryouko Asakura and Kyon.

For those that may feel lost without some action-packed comedy, there is no need to fret. Yuki’s forgetful and clumsy nature tends to lead her into some troubling situations. Puyo’s art stays true to the original versions created by Noizi Ito, but also gives emotions to the quiet protagonist. It may take a while for those used to the stoic data humanoid to be comfortable with energetic incarnation. Her heartwarming scenes, however, easily win readers. Yen Press recently published Volume Eight earlier in November, but fans will have to wait until March 2016 for the next installment. Visityenpress.com for more information.

“Spider-Island
As a long time Spider-man fan, Marvel’s 2011 crossover event “Spider-Island” brought glee into my heart. By some strange circumstances, residents of Manhattan start to gain similar abilities to the local Avenger Spider-Man. The infection spread to almost everyone including some of the superheroes and villains. It is up to the original webslinger with some friends to find a cure and contain the sudden infestation.

Led by “Amazing Spider-Man” writer Dan Slott with the help of various creative teams, this event has many things fans will love. It is worth collecting all of the special limited series, especially for some of the cameos of characters such as Spider-Girl, Cloak and Dagger and even Frog-Man. While there are several people to look for, in the end, it is Spider-Man’s shining moment. I will withhold from writing any spoilers, but the grand conclusion of “Spider-Island” will prove Peter Parker’s heroism. To find the complete reading list and more, visit marvel.com

“The Heart of Hush”
One of the Batman story arcs preceding the Final Crisis event in DC Comics, “The Heart of Hush” was a volume filled with drama, action and romantic tensions. The villain Hush leaves his hiding place to take down the Dark Knight before the Black Glove does. Knowing his prey very well, he strikes one of Batman’s few weaknesses, Catwoman. Though no longer pursuing a romantic relationship, Batman still cares for the feline thief. Hush’s attack leaves her on a hospital bed clinging for life and Batman rushing to capture his foe.

Dustin Nguyen’s art matches the storytelling of his writing counterpart Paul Dini. The duo create an emotion-filled story while keeping the dark grittiness of Gotham. There is a lot of tensions that will pull you in different directions and will leave you guessing for what will happen next for the main players in this story. Check out dccomics.com to grab a copy and find out more on Batman.

This is just a spec of my favorites, but these titles are definitely ones I love to read over and over again. Comic books are beautiful narratives that brings people into different worlds while bringing them closer to each other. Even if you don’t check out the suggested titles above, visit a comic book shop to find one you might like.