BSU aims to be a voice for minority students

President Daniesha Thornton discusses the importance of diversity on campus, the future of the BSU

Lex Garcia, Assistant Features Editor

Black students are concerned about their presence at CSUSM and are striving for more recognition across campus.

In recent months, the Black Student Union (BSU) has become the voice of minorities on campus. President Daniesha Thornton has set high standards for the BSU in regards to what it should bring to CSUSM.

Black History Month is very important to the BSU, but Thornton affirms that black history should be recognized for more than just one month.

“I feel like even though it is Black History Month—yes this is when we are holding quite a bit of events—but we should be recognized more and we should constantly be growing as a union,” she said.

With a 3 percent population of African American students at CSUSM, Thornton said that the BSU is frustrated and is becoming even more motivated to continue being active on campus.

“It really makes me mad that our school only has around 3 percent black students. I feel like they do not realize what their potential is. I want our organization to really show these kids that we are out here like everybody else, and they can be too,” said Thornton.

Recently, the BSU went on a local news station and explained how they felt in regards to the recent diversity issues on campus, and specifically their response to structural changes within the Office of Diversity.

“After voicing my opinion on air like that, I was almost scared to come to school. I was getting side grins from faculty members, almost as if they were mad at me. That really upset me because me and the members are only trying to be a voice for black people and the rest of the minorities here on campus,” said Thornton.

With that, the BSU has set strong goals for themselves this semester and for the future. “One of our bigger goals is  fighting for a [black student] center,” said Thornton.

On Oct. 1, 2015, President Karen Haynes held an open forum to discuss budget and planning for the future of CSUSM, at which the BSU held up posters that read, “Hey Karen Haynes, can we have a Black Student Center?”

Along with the fight for a center, Thornton asserts that she wants to see more growth within the CSUSM community.

“I simply want to look back … [and] see the campus just be a lot more diverse. I do not want students to feel the way I do. Sometimes when I am sitting in a classroom, I am the only black person,” said Thornton. “I feel left out in some cases; no one can really relate to me. I do not want future students to feel like that.”

“I really hope that the Black Student Union keeps growing and continues to be the voice that the minorities here on campus need,” she said.