Books every college graduate should read

Lexy Perez, Arts & Entertainment Editor

While graduation is an exciting time in any student’s life, it can also bring nerves, doubts and lead you to a quarter-­life crisis. If you’re graduating this year, in need of some advice and yearning for a fresh perspective on the next chapter of your life, these five books can serve as inspirational guides to finding some clarity during this transition period.

1. “Adulting” by Kelly Williams Brown

With a comedic and sarcastic take on being an adult, Brown offers 48 tips on how to manage being an adult. Her quirky writing makes for a fun read and reminds you that you aren’t alone with feeling as if you’re failing at being a functional adult.

2. “The Opposite of Loneliness” by Marina Keegan

This life-­changing book reminds anyone to never take anything for granted. After graduating from Yale, Keegan was ready to start her new job at The New Yorker. Sadly, five days after graduating college, she died in a car accident. This book is a collection of essays she had written prior to the tragic day.

3. “Into the Wild” by Jon Krakauer

This book is about a recent college graduate who decides to donate all his savings to charity and hitchhikes to Alaska to discover a new life for himself. This inspirational book is perfect for anyone yearning to find their life’s meaning and/or are fans of “Eat, Pray, Love.”

4. “Life After College: The Complete Guide to Getting What You Want” by Jenny Blake

Consider this an instruction manual on how to survive life after college. Filled with advice and tips on how to navigate certain aspects of your life, such as work, home, finance and personal growth, this book could practically be considered “Post­Grad Life for Dummies.”

5. “You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life” by Jen Sincero

This book offers guides and inspiration for anyone feeling as if their life is in a rut and in need of a transformation. Aiming to encourage readers to find meaning in their lives, Sincero’s witty commentary on how to love yourself, your life and live the best life you can is the perfect book to read after graduating.