Cougars finish strong on final day of CCAA Track Championships

Rebecca Sykes, Sports Staff Writer

A pair of Cougars earned All­-CCAA honors at the final day of California Collegiate Athletic Association (CCAA) Championships at Cal State Los Angeles on May 8.

Junior Frederik Jahr tied for the second­-highest leap for the men’s high jump with a leap of 2.01m. He earned All-­CCAA honors and made history for the Cougars with their first medal in CCAA track and field history. This has been the third time this year Jahr has cleared 2.01m in the high jump.

Sophomore Natalie Rodriguez earned All­-CCAA honors in the women’s 5000m with the second-fastest time of the day, 17:02.06. This is Rodriguez’s second All-­CCAA honors, her first being during cross country season for the 6k with a time of 21:39.3.

Senior Michelle Fekete finished her final season with a personal record in the women’s triple jump with a jump of 10.06m and had the 12th longest jump of the day. Sophomore Noelle Bediamol also set a personal record in the women’s triple jump, jumping 10.55m.

On the men’s side for the triple jump, Jamal Brewer placed eighth with a jump of 13.72 setting a personal record. Freshmen Joshrey Estelle placed 13th for the men’s triple jump, jumping 12.39.

Head track & field coach believes his athletes have put enough work to prove they are Division II athletes.

“I think that being in the CCAA has definitely inspired them and they have realized that if they want to be competitive and they have to up their game and that is exactly what they have done,” said Scott.

The Cougars worked hard this season, earning themselves countless personal records, placing in events at competitions and achieving many qualifications for CCAA championships, proving they have arrived in Division II.