(In)Visible art exhibit visits CSUSM’s Kellogg Library

Madison Scrivano, A&E Editor

A new photographic art exhibit has taken center stage at CSUSM’s library gallery. The exhibit includes the work of photographer Roberto (Bear) Guerra and beautifully showcases a portion of San Diego’s homeless population.

According to CSUSM’s Library webpage, it is “through timeless photographic portraiture and first-person stories, that [the exhibit] offers students, faculty, staff and visitors the opportunity to challenge their perceptions of those living on the streets in our midst.”

The project’s purpose is to challenge any stigma that may be surrounding homelessness, and to raise awareness of the harsh realities that the homeless face on a daily basis. It is a way for viewers to come together and discuss, contemplate or stand and gaze at the simple beauty of the photographs.

This exhibit will be on display from Sept. 12 to Dec. 10, and it is free and open to the public during Library hours.

CSUSM’s Library webpage states that there will also be a panel discussion on Thursday, Oct. 20 entitled “Conversations that Matter,” which will aim to promote further discussion about homelessness.

This event will also include topics of “food insecurity and the critical link to well- being and academic success of CSUSM students. The panel will include the photographer himself, Nicholas Mortaloni (CSUSM CARE Manager) and Jill Weigt, (Sociology Professor).”