Tukwut Life Drops the Beat with a Silent Disco Experience

Joanna Mascarinas, Assistant Arts Editor

Who would have thought that getting a party started with a DJ required no noise?

Tukwut Life’s Drop the Beat featured a silent social experience that got students dancing in the Quad on a Friday night. The silent disco consisted of the DJ transmitting the music through different channels on wireless headphones, enabling students to choose the music that best suited them and transform the silent atmosphere into a disco vibe.

Mayu Nakatsuka, an incoming freshman and international student from Japan, described the event as “very strange but entertaining” as this was her first time experiencing a silent party with a group of people dancing to different music.

To any bystander, a silent disco looks peculiar; people moving and dancing to silence. But the event reinvents the idea of being in a nightclub because the music channels in the headphones allow the students to listen and dance to any style of music they want.

Jasmine Demers, the Marketing and Promotions Assistant for the Dean of Students, found the event to be the perfect energy breakthrough on a Friday night. “We’ve never had a silent disco before. It’s a fun twist to a regular dance and it seems awkward at first because of the silence, but that’s what makes it unique and fun for the students.”

To learn more about any campus-wide upcoming events and student news, visit www.csusm.edu/tukwutlife