Intervarsity seeks to unite Christian students of all backgrounds

Ramon Flores, Amy Chastain, Assistant News editor

Intervarsity Christian Fellowship is a student organization that focuses on the student community of Christian faith and allows students to learn more about their religion.

The fellowship originated in the late nineteenth century in England, but it didn’t become well-known in the U.S until the 1930’s.

On college campuses, the organization works to create small group bible studies, teaching students of the Christian Faith. In total, Intervarsity has 985 chapters on 649 college campuses in the U.S.

For the 2014-2015 school year, Intervarsity was not recognized by all CSU campuses, but after a review from the CSU’s, all Intervarsity groups are included.

At CSUSM, there are a several small groups that students can attend. There is the Asian Pacific Islander (API), that meets on Wednesdays from 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. in the Cross Cultural Center.

“API Bible study helps students engage with God in a way that taps into their culture bringing internal healing as well as external transformation as every student is encouraged to bring a friend, share Jesus with someone who doesn’t know Him,” former API Leader Va’a Wong said.

Black Campus Ministries (BCM) meets Mondays 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. in the Cougar Cube at The QUAD. BCM leaders are Josh Foronda, Netta Herndon, Zana Taylor and Devin Vaughn.

“We are excited to build a genuine community of friend on campus and create a safe space to share openly, ask hard questions and feel respected — no matter what your spiritual background is,” Foronda said.  “We want this to be a space where we experience God together and address current social justice issues in a healthy and intimate way. Come join us, everyone is welcome!”

For the Commuter Group, there are 3 separate meeting times. There are two small group meetings Mondays at the USU amphitheatre from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. On Thursdays, the Commuter Group meets by the grass outside the bookstore from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m.

For students who are trying to explore their faith or meet people with same interests, Intervarsity might be a student organization to look into.