Black Student Union BBQ kicks off semester of events

Amy Chastain, Editor in Chief

CSUSM’s Black Student Union (BSU) hosted it’s Back to School Barbeque from 2 to 7pm on Sept. 9 at the University Village Apartments pool. The event acted as a look into what’s to come this semester.

BSU aims to be a organization for students that fosters fellowship and community.

“[BSU helps] those students that are struggling to get accustomed to Cal State San Marcos, it really helps them. It’s there for them, provides them with friends and events…,” said BSU Event Coordinator Netta Herndon.

“For me … I came out here and I was surrounded by a lot of races that I have never met in my entire life. It was a culture shock. BSU helped me feel at home. It was literally my home away from home,” she said.

According to BSU President Marvin Cook, the official Black Student Center should become a part of the campus landscape in Spring 2016 near Jazzman’s cafe.

BSU projects that the space will be a unifying point for African Americans at CSUSM. Herndon feels it will be a great place for students to talk about issues close to their hearts, such as police brutality.

Even though they are still awaiting a designated space, BSU has a full calendar of events planned for the semester. The organization will host a talent show, multiple poetry nights and a family style dinner the Sunday before Thanksgiving break. Their second Halloween Dance will be another highlight event.

BSU will host its first fundraiser from 4-10pm on Sept. 15 at Froyo Love located at 300 South Twin Oaks Valley Road.

For a copy of the fundraiser flier and to stay up to date on all things BSU, follow them on Instagram, @csusm_bsu.