CSUSM men’s soccer ties in double overtime against Chico State

Shane Siemsen, Assistant Sports Editor

CSUSM men’s soccer battled Chico State University in their second game of California Collegiate Athletic Association (CCAA) conference play on Friday, Sept. 21.

Both teams were locked in defensively, neither letting up more than one goal the entire game.  CSUSM had their first double-overtime game of the season and their team grit never let up.

The first half of the game was very physical. Both teams were unable to put a goal on the scoreboard until Omar Nuño of Chico State put one through the back of the net at the 34 minute mark.

With the clock ticking down at the end of the first half, the Cougars’ senior midfielder Zach Olow ripped a screamer off the crossbar with seconds remaining.

Following the intermission, both teams continued right where they left off, grinding and pushing each other on defense.

The Cougars’ redshirt freshman goalkeeper Justin Tesar stood on his head the entire second half, saving shot after shot. His defensive skills shifted the momentum of the game and brought fire back to the Cougars offense.

With a penalty kick at 59 minutes, the Cougars evened up the score with a pass from sophomore Jacob Cintas to defender sophomore Andrew Stalboerger.

“We felt the goal was coming. We knew we had the willpower and personnel to get one,” said Stalboerger. Stalboerger now has two goals on the season.

After tying the game at one, the Cougars buckled down on defense once again to end regulation at a tie.  

During the first overtime, Cougars beat the Wildcats in shots on goal, 3-1 and came back hungry in double overtime, putting another shot on goal.

“Discipline was our strength today. Coming off a game two days ago, we kept our fitness to keep fighting,” said goalkeeper Tesar.  

“We’re growing as a young team in the CCAA. Gaining experience is the most valuable thing that we’re getting out of these games because we’re playing all these big teams that have been here for decades and we’re tying them and beating them.”

Although the Cougars are only in their second season of the CCAA, they are young and hungry and holding their own in a very tough conference despite them being unable to qualify for the postseason.

The men’s soccer win-loss-tie record stands at 2-2-1 overall and 1-0-1 in their conference.

The Cougars will host Humboldt State in another CCAA showdown on Friday, Sept. 30 at 3 p.m.