Project Positivity urges optimism

Antonio Pequeño IV, A&E Editor

Words flew, thoughts were spoken aloud, and passion jumped off the page as CSUSM’s Literature & Writing Club and English Honors Society hosted Project Positivity on Jan. 26 in SBSB 4111. Established in 2010, both the club and society have expanded in membership and continue to grow each year.

The project was open for students and faculty to share any form of literary work they wished, so long as the motifs revolved around a generally positive theme.

“By allowing for student voices to be heard and encouraging students to assist with organizing and sharing these voices, this nonpartisan project will work towards bridging the gap that we currently face in our polarized and divided time,” said Liliane Lendvai, president of the club and honor society.

Readers shared their creative works which portrayed a range of subjects such as practicing and sharing compassion to learning about various cultures and creeds. As more readers presented, it became evident that the topics discussed fluctuated from jovial life experiences to intense personal stories.

When asked about the purpose of hosting the open mic event, Lendvai responded, “The open mic is a way for us to unite people and to allow for different voices to be heard that might otherwise not be.”

According to Lendvai, The Literature and Writing Club is open to all students while Sigma Tau Delta (the English Honors Society) can be joined if a certain GPA requirement is met. On the topic of Sigma Tau Delta, Lendvai described the society by saying, “It’s a fantastic environment full of people who care about writing or reading, forming good relationships with others… it’s very inclusive.”

More information on both the club and honor society can be found at https://www.csusm.edu/ltwr/clubs.html.