The Truth Behind Me unveils culture, art

Antonio Pequeño IV, A&E Editor

The Truth Behind Me showcase featured stepping performances, fashion, poetry, food and a photo exhibit from local San Diegans and CSUSM students.

Organized by the Associated Student Inc. Campus Activities Board, The Truth Behind Me unveiled Afrikan and Afrikan Amerikan culture to its attendees on Feb. 21 at the USU amphitheater.

One of the many poets who performed, Anita Diaz clashed raw emotion with personal stories of domestic abuse, relationships and the intimate significance behind tattoos. Diaz is a slam poet who hails from Massachusetts and was part of the nationally ranked 2016 San Diego Slam Team.

One poem of Diaz’s titled “Colors,” details her struggles of paring a multiracial identity with fairer skin. “I had to teach myself my complexion is not a mistake. That I am hand crafted by a god that dipped his paintbrush in both Mexico and Africa. I am a culmination of cultures.

A product of diverse love,” she expressed with fearlessness.

Adding to the talented cast of poets, the showcase presented Konstant Be. A visual arts and spoken word poet, Be’s work attempts to explain the relationship between intimacy, psychology, philosophy and human nature.

“He Exists,” is a poem by Be that explores the highly charged issue of sexual assault. He began his performance swiftly and said, “He exists, not a mere figment of women’s imagination but a flesh and blood creature seeking flesh and blood he is as real, as the way he makes women feel and he is here…”

Be and his poetry were delivered with the culmination of exceptional flow and thought provoking concepts.

Jake Northington’s photo exhibit titled “Melanin Marvels” was a project created for his photography class that features fellow CSUSM students. Northington said, “I created a book to present African women with their natural hair, in all colors, shades, and mixtures.” The art project is currently on display in front of the Black Student Center located in USU 4200.