Graduate students to be honored on CSUSM 27th annual commencement.

Cesia Cano, Staff writer

This year’s graduates will join the increasing 38,000 body of CSUSM alumni.

According to CSUSM campus statistics, more than 50 percent of graduates are the first in their families to earn a Bachelor’s degree.

“I feel relieved now that graduation is right around the corner,” said Sierra Zounes, a Literature and Writing major and graduating student. “This is just the next step towards my lifelong career and if everything goes according to plan, I will never truly be leaving the realm of academia.”

The graduating class of 2017 will be honored for their accomplishment and commemorated for being part of the core values and diversity that embodies the university.

The five commencement ceremonies will take place between Friday, May 19 and Saturday, May 20.

College of Humanities, Arts, Behavior & Social Sciences will divide into two commencement ceremonies scheduled for Friday, May 19 at 9 a.m. and 1 p.m.

The remaining three commencement ceremonies will be held on Saturday, May 20. The day will begin with College of Business Administration at 9 a.m., followed by College Science & Mathematics at 1 p.m. and College of Education, Health & Human Services at 4 p.m.

Participating students must arrive one hour prior to ceremony check-in at the softball field and are recommended to bring a sealed bottled of water to stay hydrated.

Guest are advised to arrive early as all seating is first come, first serve, no tickets are provided.

General parking will be in lots B, C, F and E, (lots Y and Z are reserved for special accommodations).

All bags will be checked at the door, unless it is essential, refrain from bringing a bag to avoid delayed entrance into the venue. Strictly prohibited items in the venue include balloons, noisemakers, alcohol, rolling coolers and beach balls.

Guest who are unable to attend commencement can find a live video stream of each ceremony at csusm.edu/commencementlive and download the CSUSM app for live, day-of commencement information.

“The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you” -Riley Ben King, American blues singer.