2010 Men’s Soccer Season Preview

By Kyle Trembley

The 2009 season was the culmination of four years of hard work, effort, and perseverance for the Cougar men’s soccer team.  After a tough 1-3 start, the squad rebounded to finish the season unbeaten in its final 9 games, a streak that stretched all the way until the A.I.I. Conference Championship Game where CSUSM gave top seed Simon-Fraser all it could handle in a 1-0 loss.

Now heading into 2010, Coach Ron Pulvers’ squad is looking to reload after losing 8 seniors, including 6 of last year’s 11 starters.  Gone is the ridiculous pace of Brandon Zuniga, the rock solid defending of Curtis Marcikic and Troy Skomra, the control in the midfield of Chris Wyatt, and the creativity of Miguel Jacobo.

One player who belongs in the above group but who will be returning to this year’s team (thanks to a redshirt 2007 season) is Bradley Seidenglanz.  The senior has taken the primary leadership role on the team, and along with fellow team captains defender Dan Sims and redshirt Brett Crouse, have ensured the legacy of the team’s first class of seniors will carry on.

“Our three captains make the coaches’ jobs so much easier by taking ownership of the team,” commented Coach Pulvers.

Despite the heavy roster turnover, these captains have maintained the professional, business-minded culture that served the team so well last season; which is a huge step towards finding success with a roster that features so many new faces.

At forward for the Cougars, newcomer Sterling Petersen has already shown flashes of dynamic ability.  The sophomore should help fill some of the goal-scoring void left by Zuniga, as will returners Max Blumenshine, Casey Wootan, and Andrew Podruski.

“All our forwards have done quite well in camp, and there will be heavy competition for the two starting spots,” commented Pulvers.

In the midfield, the outside will be anchored by Seidenglanz, who aside from his leadership skills provides solid all-around play and good goal-scoring touch.  Opposite him will be 6’3″ freshman Panos Kotselas from St. Augustine, who is currently penciled in to start.  In the middle, Martin Suarez returns after a strong debut season as a starter in 2009, and he’ll be joined by Jacob Kaiser, the team’s top recruit from 2009. 

“Jacob is going to be a star for us,” noted Coach Pulvers.

On defense, Sims is moving from his previous center midfield position to a wide back position, which should help provide some bite to the Cougars’ counterattack.  Returning on the opposite side is Jordan Shadeed, who scored two goals and tallied two assists last season.  In the middle, Erik Mueller, a freshman from Newbury Park High School, will start alongside Richie Kaiser, who played in 13 games last year for the Cougars.

Finally, CSUSM returns the trio of keepers who were on its roster in 2009:  Kevin Ernst, Kane Leonard, and Kiki Castro, who redshirted last season with an injury.  Ernst will once again enter the season as the team’s starter, though competition for the job will be fierce.

On the bench, incoming freshman Warren Ashcroft joins the Cougars from Poway High School, and should contribute immediately.  His explosive goal-scoring ability may also make him a good fit up front as well as in the midfield.  Fellow newcomers Carlin Kennedy and Anthony Perez will also contribute, and should develop into very good players for the program.  On defense, veterans Cary Cousineau and Tyler Spitznagel have been strong in camp and should see the field, as should freshmen Anthony Fischer and J.J. Paetow.

The squad is also getting a potentially big addition in Eric Lopez, a transfer from Chico State who should join the team early in the season.

Overall, expect this year’s Cougar team to be more attack-oriented than those of the last couple years.  Despite the lack of experience, CSUSM is already receiving votes in the NAIA Preseason Poll, and team is looking to start strong to earn its first national ranking, as well as qualify again for the A.I.I. Tournament.

“I really like this team,” said Coach Pulvers.  “They’ve shown a real thirst for buying into what’s being taught.”