STAR WARS: A NEW NOPE- LUCAS RETURNS TO THE DARKSIDE WITH LATEST EDITS OF THE CLASSIC SAGA

CHRIS GIANCAMILLI
PRIDE STAFF WRITER

On Sept. 16, the wait was fi nally over as “Star Wars: The Complete Saga” was released in stunning Blu-ray in North America. Since then, the set has shattered Blu-ray sales records. According to MSNBC.com, Star Wars: The Complete Saga has earned over $84 million worldwide in one week on Blu-ray.

Though sales are strong, the set is polarizing fans over the constant changes made with every release of the “Star Wars” movies. Some of the changes in this release include new dialogue added to the final Darth Vader scene in “Return of the Jedi,” computer- generated eyelids added to the Ewoks in “Return of the Jedi” and new dialogue added to Obi-Wan in “A New Hope.” Perhaps some welcome the changes and regard them as a new feature to enhance the experience. However, I cannot speak for this group of people. I belong to the vast majority of fans who love and enjoy the theatrical releases of the films.

The average customer review for “Star Wars: The Complete Saga” is currently 2.5 out of 5 stars on Amazon.com. Skimming through over one thousand “one-star” reviews, the general consensus of the fans appears to be an overwhelmingly negative reaction to the alterations of the films.

Like many fans before me, I am no stranger to the Star Wars editing controversy. Since the days of “Han shot first,” fans have slowly lost faith in their beloved saga. What disappoints me most is the unfortunate reality that we as fans have no voice in the future of “Star Wars.” How many years must we wait until Lucas will provide us with theatrical cuts in high definition? As a die-hard fan, I don’t want to have a new, updated experience with my favorite sci-fi saga every five years. I want to remember the series for what it was, not what it has become. There is no doubt that I would purchase “Star Wars: The Complete Saga” had the set come with both the theatrical cuts and the 2011 Blu-ray edits. Though the set would cost more, I would pay (almost) any price to see the original classic films restored to visual perfection.

While the Blu-ray releases may have a wealth of bonus features and documentaries, I will not purchase the set due to all the changes. Many of us fans will continue to wait for the theatrical cuts, however long they may take. If growing up with “Star Wars” taught us anything, there will always be a new hope… for a little fan service.

View Comments (1)