BEYOND THE TEXTBOOK: MAKING THE MOST OF YOUR COLLEGE YEARS

JENNA JAUREGUI
CONTRIBUTOR

Students: let’s put on our existential hats for a moment and ask ourselves the big question: why are we here (and by “here,” I mean college)? Why are you— one specimen in the several billion carbon-based bits of humanity— on this path of higher education? Don’t spout out some canned response about the terrible economy and having “no other choice” but to attend school. The fact is that you are here for you.

The sad part about attending college at Cal State San Marcos is the perception of a “commuter campus:” one where every student goes to class, goes home and gets on with his or her life. The next time you’re rushing to beat the traffic out of the Markstein parking lot, take a moment and remember that the “college experience” offers more than just a degree with your name on it.

This is a special time in your life, whether you are fresh out of high school or going back to college after years away from it. This is a time to discover yourself— your beliefs, your opinions, what makes you happy. This is a time to make connections to friends, professors, and the community to build a network that will carry you into a career or other post-academic goal. We are all hurrying to “get out” on time, but sometimes we just need to take a breath and appreciate what a college campus can offer.

So stick around a while after class, if you can spare the time. Get involved. Do something that will feed your soul. Join a club, a team or a group. Nurture a talent and surprise yourself. Wander into the Cross-Cultural Center, the Women’s Center, the LGBTQA Center or the Veteran’s Center. Talk to the people who hang out there. Make a friend. Discuss what’s going on in your life or in the world. Celebrate our different opinions, but stay true to yourself.

Your professors have office hours for a reason. Don’t hesitate to stop in and say hello. They are professionals with advanced degrees, and they can help you with questions or concerns you have about your major, graduate school or future career. Talk to them about their own academic journeys; they have years of experience as both students and educators. Building relationships with your professors will come in handy when you require letters of recommendation or are searching for jobs in your field.

College is so much more than your class schedule. Don’t shy away from the heart of campus. Dig in and find your niche. Branch out and network with people. You came here to learn, so learn more than just academics. Learn about you and experience college your way.

Photo by Morgan Hall