DVD Releases: Oct. 5, 2010

By: Mila Pantovich

Images courtesy of Amazon.com

“A Nightmare on Elm Street” (R)

Freddy Kruger is back (this time played by Jackie Earle Haley) in “A Nightmare on Elm Street,” marking another remake of Wes Craven’s 1984 horror film of the same name. The film follows the previously established story line of a group of teenagers who find out that they’re all being terrorized in their dreams by the same man due to actions made by their parents when they were children. With laughable acting, an extreme emphasis given to Kruger’s possible pedophilic nature, and Haley trying desperately to rip the same terror from the audience as the irreplaceable original Robert Englund, this film only succeeds in being a weak attempt to recreate a film that needs no reproduction.

“Bones: Season 5” (Unrated)

With the sixth season newly underway, the DVD release of season five of this Emmy-nominated crime-drama series could not come at a better time. Heavily steeped in the symbiotic relationship between forensic anthropology and criminal justice, the series continues to follow the exploits of main characters Dr. Temperance “Bones” Brennan (Emily Deschanel) and FBI Special Agent Seeley Booth (David Boreanaz), as well as the excellent supporting cast including Michaela Conlin, T.J. Thyne, John Francis Daley, and Tamara Taylor. Featured in this season is the 100th episode (directed by David Boreanaz) that allows the audience to see the beginnings of Booth and Brennan’s relationship, the Gravedigger (the villain of season four) on trial, the rekindling of romance between Angela and Hodgins, and finally ending the season with the characters going their separate ways temporarily. Be sure to catch new episodes of “Bones,” airing Thursdays at 8 p.m. on FOX.