The Heart Beat: Organ donation gives the gift of life

By Curtis Bovee

If you could help 50 people, would you?

According to the National Institutes of Health, experts say that organs from one person can save or help up to 50 people. Sadly, there is still overwhelming need for organ donors.

Currently, over 118,000 people are waiting for an organ. Of those 118,000 people, 18 will die each day. Astonishingly, one organ donor can save up to eight lives.

The first successful organ transplant was a kidney transplant performed in 1954 between two identical twins. According to the Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network, there have been about 559,000 organ transplantations to date. Considering the overwhelming need, this is not enough. Furthermore, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2.5 million people die per year in the U.S. alone. Imagine if just 10 percent of these people were organ donors.

Don’t let the myths surrounding organ donation hinder you from becoming a donor:

[heartlist]-[/heartlist]Because you are an organ donor does not mean hospital staff will not work as hard to save your life.

[heartlist]Put your bullet list here[/heartlist]-Organ and tissue donation does not affect your appearance for a funeral.

[heartlist]Put your bullet list here[/heartlist]-You are never too old to donate.

[heartlist]Put your bullet list here[/heartlist]-You might think your health stinks; however, chances are pretty slim that your organs would be rejected.

To be an organ donor is easy. Simply fill a form on the DMV website and you’re finished. Can you really think of a justifiable reason not to donate? Take five minutes of your time and sign up.