Think Pink: Celebrating Breast Cancer Awareness Month

By Vanessa Chalmers

Americans everywhere are celebrating the month of October as official Breast Cancer Awareness month. Pink ribbons grace even the most unassuming corners of our life this month, showing up on rubber bracelets, T-shirts, pins, cars, yogurt cups, and even on an earring found on the bathroom floor of a bar. Businesses—from restaurants to cosmetic counters—have also jumped on board to rally support for the cause by creating special products and donating a portion of their sales to breast cancer research, and “I love boobies” bracelets from the Keep a Breast Foundation have far outnumbered the once popular What Would Jesus Do? bracelets, demonstrating the magnification of how breast cancer has affected people of all ages. It is clear from this proud display that supporters everywhere have a personal tie to the women who have lived with or survived this disease. However, even amidst these grand gestures of support, the purpose of this propaganda is not only to help raise funds, but to create a dialogue that promotes breast cancer awareness by sharing information about the disease and providing access to screening services for early detection and prevention.

According to the Susan G. Komen website, www.komen.org, breast cancer does not discriminate by age or ethnicity. All women (and even some men) are susceptible to the disease, and over 200,000 new cases of breast cancer will be diagnosed this year. Apart from skin cancer, breast cancer is the most common cancer in women but is also the most successfully treated. Regular mammogram screenings, MRIs, and clinical breast exams are imperative to the detection and treatment of breast cancer. The key to success comes with prevention through early detection. The earlier the detection of breast cancer, the more treatable the disease becomes. While women follow health guidelines and armor themselves in pink, there are still many other ways to get involved in the fight against breast cancer.

The 60-mile Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure walk happening in San Diego on Nov. 19-21 is fueled entirely by hope, perseverance, and some faithful fundraising. While registration for the 2010 walk is now closed, it is not too early to register for next year’s 3-Day. Participants may register individually or as a team. If conquering 60 miles is not a present personal goal, crew and volunteer positions are available and spectators are always welcome to donate to participants and cheer on the trekking troops at designated cheering stations along the San Diego highways from Del Mar to Downtown San Diego.

While October may be coming to an end, breast cancer awareness and support will not. Schedule a free, annual breast exam at the CSUSM Health Center today by calling (760) 750-4915.