Comic Book Corner: ‘Resident Alien’ brings sci fi home

Comic Book Corner: Resident Alien brings sci fi home

By Faith Orcino

A&E Editor

The publisher Dark Horse will be releasing Issue One of “Resident Alien: The Suicide Blonde,” the newest installment in the comic series, on Sept. 11.

Writer Peter Hogan and artist Steve Parkhouse return to continue the tale of Dr. Harry Vanderspeigle, an extraterrestrial alien who tries to keep a low profile in the United States  countryside. As he waits for contact from his home planet, Vanderspeigle cares for those needing treatment and assists in police investigations. This new story arc starts where readers left him, resting on a hospital bed. While Vanderspeigle recovers from the past adventure, another brews. The new storyline involves a unique set of characters, once again taking place in the little town of Patience.

Both Hogan and Parkerhouse are British veterans in the comic industry. The two worked with the critically acclaimed creator Alan Moore in separate projects (America’s Best Comics and the Bojefferies series, respectively).  Now the duo combines their talents to create this sci-fi comic.  

Hogan’s writing is a style that reminds readers of classic murder mystery novels and has a steady flow, even with the many twists. Parkerhouse’s illustrations have interesting color palettes and he puts a lot of detail in the characters.  

For new readers, it would be best to start with the first collection, “Resident Alien Volume 1: Welcome to Earth”. The next step would be getting the zero issue before picking up this new book.  Visit darkhorse.com or your local comic vendor for more information.