NetFlix Review: Halloween edition

Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko

By Thomas Whittington

This time of year definitely transforms the media.

From “The Human Centipede” and “A Nightmare on Elm Street” to the classics like “Night of the Living Dead” and “Dracula,” we celebrate all things horror or Halloween-themed in the month of October. So, to abide by the laws of tradition, this review will cover an unusual modern classic, currently available for streaming on Netflix.

“Donnie Darko” (2001) — was not a success at the box office upon its release, but thanks to the new DVD format it soon became a cult classic. Set in the 1980s, the plot revolves around Donnie, a troubled teenager, who sleepwalks out of his bedroom one night and gets told by a six-foot-tall rabbit named Frank that the world will end in 28 days. The rabbit manipulates Donnie to do a series of mischievous tasks, possessing him to commit a series of crimes and involve himself with unsavory people.  We are able to sympathize with our protagonist and we become more worried about him than his own family. Donnie Darko is a film that includes multiple genres.  It is not quite horror, but also not quite science fiction.  You will be trying to make your own interpretation of this film long after you watch it.  The film boasts an eclectic 80s soundtrack that is exciting and memorable to people of all generations.  Even if psychological horror isn’t typically your genre, this movie definitely has the range and capacity to keep any viewer involved and entangled in the brilliant characters.

Directed and written by Richard Kelly, the film includes actors such as: Jake and Maggie Gyllenhaal, Drew Barrymore and Patrick Swayze.

I give this film 4 out of 5 Cougar Paws.

View Comments (1)

• F

fire training drillsNov 12, 2013 at 1:01 am

I’m not that much of a internet reader to be honest but your blogs really nice,
    keep it up! I’ll go ahead and bookmark your website to come back later.
    All the best

Reply