Concert reviews: Jack Johnson, Passion Pit light up local stages

Jack Johnson
Jack Johnson

By Katie Piccorillo

Jack Johnson at Balboa Theater:

Jack Johnson may live on the North Shore of Oahu in Hawaii, but on Friday night, Oct. 18, he was right at home at the Balboa Theater in San Diego’s famous Gas Lamp District. After all, Johnson’s career started here in the heart of San Diego when he released his first debut album “Brushfire Fairytales” in 2001.  As he walked onto stage at 8:30 p.m. to an excited sold out crowd, he grabbed a stool and opened the show with just his acoustic guitar. A very simple but perfect introduction as he started with a half hour coffeehouse-themed set, which included songs “Do You Remember” (2005, In Between Dreams), “I Got You,” “Good People” and “Gone.”  During this short but sweet set, he also took requests from his dedicated and enthusiastic fans that were just as stoked to see him in such an intimate solo setting.

After his band joined him, he sang most of his well-known hits including the classics “Sitting, Waiting, Wishing”, “Bubble Toes,” “Staple It Together” and new songs from his latest album “From Here Now To You.” Throughout the evening, he interacted often and warmly with the audience and shared stories of how and why his songs came to be. We learned that “Washing Dishes” from his newest album evolved from working in a small pizza shop in high school where he had hoped no cute girls would see him, because no girl wants to date a “dish washer.”

Although Johnson’s early days are way in the past now, the 38 year old singer, songwriter and surfer is still married to his college sweetheart and has a young family who serve as the muse for most of the songs he writes, such as “Better Together” which he used to close the show. After performing for two and a half hours, Johnson finished the night where he started, alone onstage, strumming his dreamy surf jams with the very same San Diego audience who helped give him his start and helped prove that for at least one night we are all “better together.”

Passion Pit at SDSU Open Air Theater:

On Tuesday Oct. 22, the Boston native band “Passion Pit” took the stage at San Diego State University’s Open Air Theater. The opening band was a popular indie band by the name The Joy Formidable Club. They pumped up the whole college atmosphere and got everyone on their feet and ready for Passion Pit. Once lead singer Michael Angelekos took the stage, he was right at home. He ran around stage and made the audience forget any worries they could ever had walking in. The atmosphere and set for the band was just as bubbly as them. Bright balloon lights surrounded the stage giving the whole arena a sort of pop just like their music. It is hard to believe that the energized lead singer was diagnosed with a bipolar disorder not too long ago and hospitalized for a long period of time because of it. However, if it was not for the struggle he overcame, the album “Gossamer” with popular hits such as “Carried away,” “Take a Walk” and “It’s not my fault, I’m Happy” would have never been born. His bump in the road was a blessing in disguise he reminded the audience. His struggle only made this album as powerful as it is. He “took us on a walk” through his struggles and taught the audience to not get “carried away” with the pressures of life as a college student. Right on, Passion Pit!