LOCKDOWN SCARE RAISES CONCERN ON CURRENT CAMPUS SAFETY MEASURES: Dramatic skit aimed against violence ignites a wave of worry

BY SANDRA CHALMERS
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF

On Thursday Nov. 4, University Police initiated a campus lockdown just prior to 4 p.m based on an alarming suspicion of a classroom confrontation where a student was believed to be in possession of a weapon.
CSUSM police sprung immediately into action by activating the emergency response protocol.
The campus wide notification system issued a lockdown, advising teachers to lock classroom doors, cover windows and have students stay away from glass.  The alert also suggested to barricade entryways and prepare shelter under desks.
“Fortunately, there was no real threat or danger to our campus. The event was a classroom performance,” stated President Haynes in a campus wide announcement.
At 4:19 p.m., the emergency was cleared, as University Police and sheriffs were able to determine the incident was a class activity based on school violence and no real threat was involved, stated the press release by CSUSM media contact, Margaret Lutz, released a day after the incident.
Many students were led to believe that a true threat was amongst them and fear of the unknown lingered in the hallways.
“Of course I was scared, but I felt safe in the library, knowing that the doors were locked, and no threat could potentially get in,” said Gillian Wong, a Communications major, as she remembered where she was and what she was doing when she heard the emergency notice.
“Some were taking it seriously, moving tables–an empty book shelf was moved to barricade the door, I took it seriously, I helped close the blinds,” said Meanerva Bowers, a senior majoring in Kinesiology.
Considering the threat was not real, Bowers expressed her concerns about the notification system.
“I thought it was a good drill, my only concern was that it was not announced over the system that it was all clear. A girl got a text message that was in the room with me but, that was it,” Bowers continued.  “I did leave a feedback email, noting that an announcement should have been made.”
President Haynes addressed concerns about the emergency alert not reaching everyone and created an email address open for feedback and comments.
Comments, concerns can be submitted to [email protected]
A detailed report showed that 4,000 emails, 1,800 calls and nearly 1,500 text messages were sent on behalf of the emergency response notification system. The report also noted that not all numbers and addresses received the message, and that efforts were being made to determine what changes need to be accomplished, continued President Haynes’s statement.
“Good thing it wasn’t real. In the classroom I was in, inside Academic Hall, the doors didn’t have a lock and we didn’t have anything to cover the windows,” said Kristen Young, a junior majoring in Communications. “It [the lockdown] helped us notice what needs to be improved.”
President Haynes shared her gratitude toward the students that came forward to make the bold move to notify emergency services about what they witnessed.  “You acted quickly and responsibly and in an emergency situation that is what saves lives,” said President Haynes in a statement release on Nov. 5.
President Haynes also showed gratitude to our University Police, celebrating their efforts in diffusing the situation.
“A lot of people didn’t even know it was real, but it’s something we need to be serious about,” said Heather Hardy, a junior majoring in Communications.
University Police suggests all students, faculty and staff register to receive alerts of emergency notices, registration is available at www.csusm.edu/em.