Sustainability Series: Students prepare for Earth Week at CSUSM

By Nicole Halman

Assistant news editor

The Sustainability Club, Associated Students and University Student Union are collaborating to educate students on campus regarding various environmental issues in preparation for Earth Day on April 22 .

“The goal of this week of events is to raise awareness on campus about how to live a more sustainable lifestyle,” Sustainability Manager for CSUSM, Juliana Goodlaw-Morris, said.

On Monday, April 20, ASI will be handing out informational fliers with details about upcoming Earth Day events. Pick up a flier to learn more about how to become involved in making CSUSM more environmentally friendly!

On Tuesday, April 21, the Sustainability Club and ASI will be holding a recycled art competition during U hour. Students may participate individually or in groups and will create an art piece from the provided recycled materials. When the event is finished, students will vote for their favorite piece and multiple winners will receive prizes ranging from a pizza party to backpacks made entirely of recycled materials.

From 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Wednesday, April 22 in the USU Ballroom, the first California screening of the film “The Burden” will be presented. This film deals with the issue of the world’s reliance on petroleum and specifically America’s dependency on foreign oil as well as the recent move toward finding a more renewable source of energy. A Q&A forum will be held after the film, and those in attendance will get to hear from both the director and producer of the film.

To end this earth-friendly week, Parking and Commuter Services will be hosting a “Bike to Campus Day” breakfast and event for all students who ride their bikes to school. Students who come out will receive a free tune-up for their bikes, breakfast and various giveaway opportunities. The Sustainability Club, ASI and USU will all be tabling throughout the week as well to provide students with information about Earth Day, its history and how sustainability affects our future.

“All students can help make a positive impact on the environment and help CSUSM reach its sustainability goals in becoming a waste-free campus,” Goodlaw-Morris said.

For more information about these events, or to get involved with the Sustainability Club here on campus please contact Alex Caratti at [email protected].