PROWLIN’ THE KITCHEN: Chilaquiles Verdes

BY JENNA JAUREGUI

DIGITAL MEDIA MANAGER

photos courtesy of Chelsea Jauregui and kathleeniscookinginmexico.wordpress.com

Those who think the day after Christmas is the worst day of the year are seriously overlooking New Year’s Day.  If the mess of streamers, confetti, and champagne spills on the carpet isn’t daunting enough, add the fact that you’re probably hung over from last night’s party and to top it all off, you have to start keeping your New Year’s resolutions!  Well, don’t just pull the covers back over your head and swear you’ll wake up in time for dinner.  The Cookin’ Cougar has the perfect wake-up recipe to help restore you to your fully functioning self.   Don’t let the first day of the year slip by you—drag yourself into the kitchen and let’s get cooking!

Many people believe in the “salt, grease, protein” cure for a hangover.  It may not be a proven science, but it’s a great excuse to eat a “heart-stopping” breakfast!  This time around, dabble in a culinary cure from the Hispanic culture.  Chilaquiles Verdes is a popular breakfast dish from Mexico that many hail as a remedy for headaches and queasy stomachs.  The tortilla chips take care of the “salt” requirement, the cheese serves as the “grease,” and the egg adds protein.  It is also a great way to use up leftovers from Taco Night!  While it may not be completely authentic, this version utilizes ingredients that people may already have in the pantry or fridge.

Chilaquiles Verdes

• 2 cups small tortilla chips
  • 2 cups verde (green) enchilada sauce
  • 1 cup shredded white cheese
  • 4 eggs

Start by heating the enchilada sauce in a large frying pan over a medium flame.  Add the chips to the sauce, letting them simmer and absorb the liquid.  Meanwhile, cook the eggs in a separate pan in whatever manner you prefer.  Once the chips are very soft, transfer to a casserole dish with a spatula.  Top with the eggs and sprinkle cheese on top.  Cover with lid and microwave until the cheese melts.  Top with anything you like—onions, olives, sour cream, tomatoes, or whatever else sounds good.  Or, just eat them plain.  The morning’s looking brighter already!  Ciao, everyone, and happy New Year!