Layda Galvan, Editor-in-Chief

Contact: [email protected]

All content by Layda Galvan
President Haynes recollects travel and professional experiences

Layda Galvan, Editor-in-Cheif April 25, 2019

Before President Karen Haynes’ journey as the longest serving president at CSUSM, her travel experiences allowed her to shape her sense of self and the world. “... I have never been out of the United...

International student shares her experiences in the U.S.

Layda Galvan, Editor-in-Cheif April 12, 2019

“Nine years ago, my mom was in a accident with her horse. She smashed her head in a tree and her front lobe of her brain is completely smooshed,” said interational student Signe Amalie Kûitse Tornager. After...

CSU Chancellor Timothy White announces no tuition increase

Layda Galvan, Editor-in-Cheif February 5, 2019

The California State University Chancellor Timothy P. White confirmed a no tuition increase for the fall 2019. According to the CSU twitter account @CalState, posted a quote saying that due to Governor...

One of the many posters spread by the White Supremacist organization found in the X, Y, Z parking lot.

UPD takes down white nationalist posters, prompts investigation

Layda Galvan and Karen Ambrocio November 7, 2018

“Identity Evropa, European Roots American Greatness.”   This message was found in several locations of the CSUSM campus on Monday, Oct. 29 and taken down by University Police Department....

CSUSM receives research grant

Layda Galvan, Editor-in-Chief October 26, 2018

The California State University (CSU) Chancellor Office awards CSUSM and 10 other campuses with “Campus as a Living Lab” grant.   Campus as a Living Lab was established in 2014, and according...

CSUSM Alpha Xi Delta strives to help families through Autism Speaks organization

Layda Galvan, Editor-in-Chief April 30, 2018

Every year, the sorority Alpha Xi Delta contributes to the San Diego organization Autism Speaks. Last year they raised $33,000 where 100 percent of the proceeds went to Autism Speaks. “Since...

From left to right: Estefania Fraticelli, Bailey Young, Kimberly Anderson, Kristian Carter, Ryan Casey and
Hector Soto on March 27.

Students send gun violence resolution to San Marcos city council

Layda Galvan, Editor-In-Chief April 12, 2018

“... We were thinking is the city of San Marcos doing anything? We didn’t see it [gun control resolution] on the city council agenda. So, in 24 hours [we] got together a resolution for the city of...

Cross-Cultural center invites CSUSM community to their 15th anniversary celebration

Layda Galvan, Editor-in-Chief March 15, 2018

In a closet adjacent to the Student Life and Leadership office on the fourth floor of Craven Hall, the Multicultural programs office was inaugurated in March of 2003. By 2007, the program was renamed...

American Indian film festival on tap

Layda Galvan and Karen Ambrocio October 26, 2017

The California Indian Culture and Sovereignty Center and American Indian Student Alliance will host their Fifth Annual California’s American Indian and Indigenous Film Festival in Pechanga Resort and...

Breaking News: Student and a visiting friend assaulted in student housing

Layda Galvan, Editor-In-Chief October 21, 2017

At around 3:15 p.m., Oct. 21,  a female student and a visiting male friend were assaulted in in the Quad student housing, according to an email bulletin from UPD. Police described the suspect as an...

Seniors of the Cougar Chronicle

Layda Galvan, Editor-In-Chief May 16, 2017

Laura Cojulun - Assistant Web & Social Media Where are you from?:  I'm from Los Angeles What are you getting your degree in?: Mass media major communications minor and women studies minor How...

Facility Services Spotlight

When you take the time to appreciate the beauty of this campus remember the people who work everyday to make it beautiful. Facility Services’ goal is to “to provide quality facility maintenance,...

Peeping Tom

Layda Galvan, Editor-In-Chief March 30, 2017

University Police Department issued a warning Wednesday of a reported “Peeping Tom” at about 3 p.m in the fourth floor of Kellogg Library   The suspect is described as in his early 20s and...

Breaking News

Layda Galvan, Editor-In-Chief January 31, 2017

According to a warning issued by the University Police Department, authorities are investigating a report of a rape at about 11 a.m. Tuesday in Parking Lot B.   The warning did not contain information...

Campus Crime Report

Layda Galvan, Managing Editor November 28, 2016

Nov. 4 through Nov. 21 CSUSM University Police Department reported various incidents reports. Highlights of the crime log are two Hit & Run Non-Injury, nine Lost and Found items located at the...

California’s American Indians & Indigenous Film Festival

Layda Galvan, Managing Editor November 23, 2016

Spearheaded by the California Indian Culture and Sovereignty Center (CICSC), CSUSM hosted the 2016 California’s American Indians & Indigenous Film Festival (CAIIFF) on Nov. 17 and 18, before the...

Alpha Xi Delta to hold annual philanthropy event for Autism Speaks

Layda Galvan, Managing Editor October 21, 2016

CSUSM’s Alpha Xi Delta sorority will be hosting the AmaXIng Challenge from Oct. 19 to 22. These events aim to raise awareness and funds for the nation’s leading autism advocacy organization, Autism...

Cougars win their first game of the season

Layda Galvan, Managing Editor September 14, 2016

CSUSM Men’s soccer team won their first game of the season against Saint Martin’s University on Monday Sept. 12 at CSUSM.   During the first twenty-five minutes of the game, Junior Bryan...

Left to right: Clinton Perez, Emilio Esquibel, Manny Barragan, L.A. Gamo, Cameron MacKenzie, Jon Putnam and Brandon Bentson celebrate their awards on Senior Day with family.

Graduating Athletes: Baseball

Layda Galvan, Assistant Sports Editor May 12, 2016

Manny Barragan, Pitcher Major: Computer Science Stat: Struck out 39 batters in the 2015 season Best win in 2015-2016 season: “Our last game of the season ... Getting the win in front of family...

Left to right: Luka Stevanovic, Zach Sheppard, Yuki Hata, Parker Radford, and Thor English

Graduating Athletes: Men’s Soccer

Favorite team Memory “Snowball fight against the women’s soccer team.” Zach Sheppard, Goalkeeper Major: Kinesiology Stat: CSUSM first career leader in saves (134). Post­-graduation...

Graduating Athletes: Womens Basketball

Graduating Athletes: Women’s Basketball

Favorite Team Memory “Beating teams on their senior night.” Brianna Higgins, Forward Major: Communication Stat: Averaged 5.8 rebounds per game. Best win 2015 to 2016 season: “Humboldt.” Post­-graduation...

Jordan Banich (left) & Taylor Degraaf (right)

Graduating Athletes: Women’s Volleyball

Favorite Team Memory “When we traveled to play Monterey Bay. We got to go to Cannery Row as a team and check out all the shops and eat cookies.” Taylor Degraaf, Outside hitter Major: Kinesiology Stat:...

Men’s Golf takes third in first round of CCAA Championships

Layda Galvan, Assistant Sports Editor April 27, 2016

CSUSM men’s golf team finished in third place at the inaugural appearance in the California Collegiate Athletic Association Championships on April 18 at Silverado Resort and Spa in Napa. The Cougars...

Campus Rec introduces inaugural Cougar Combine

Layda Galvan, Assistant Sports Editor April 24, 2016

The NFL Combine is one of the biggest yearly events in college football. With the help of the CSUSM Fitness and Operations Coordinator Jordan Riding, Campus Rec is offering a combine of its own. The...

CSUSM Swim Club set to begin competitions

Layda Galvan, Assistant Sports Editor April 13, 2016

After a startup process that lasted over a year, the CSUSM Swim Club is finally poised to not just continue with practice, but begin to compete against other club and Masters swim teams. “I...

Coach Pugh announces retirement effective at the end of the season

Baseball Coach Dennis Pugh announced his retirement at the seventh annual Student-Athlete Award Banquet on April 11.   Prior to coming to CSUSM, Pugh spent 27 years at Mission Bay High...

Left to right, President Stephanie Ferro, Treasurer Brooke Lunquist and Vice President Alex Ghilarducci.

Women’s soccer club offers competitive fun

Layda Galvan, Assistant Sports Editor April 4, 2016

In Spring 2014, two CSUSM students created the Women’s Soccer Club to give “the opportunity to other students interested that still want to play” competitively “and be more involved...

Locker Room Talk website aims to aid athletes

Layda Galvan, Assistant Sports Editor March 9, 2016

Organizers of website designed to connect prospective student-athletes to their future schools hope to put CSUSM coaches and their teams in the spotlight.   Locker Room Talk (www.LockerRoomTalk.com),...

Women’s Basketball loses against CSU Los Angeles

Layda Galvan, Assistant Sports Editor February 12, 2016

The Cal State San Marcos women's basketball team fell to Cal State Los Angeles on Feb. 6 with a score of 56-59. CSUSM faced a couple of challenges during the game, but continued to give...

Athlete shares inspirations

Athlete shares inspirations

Layda Galvan, Sports Reporter December 10, 2015

“Family matters because when it’s all said and done [it’s] all you got. They are your back bone; they are your life support. And sure you can have close friends, but no matter what...

Transitioning from high school to collegiate sports

It’s one thing to dominate sports in high school, however college is its own beast. Joan Park, a freshman on our CSUSM Women’s Golf team, describes her transition towards the collegiate...

Natalie Lara is the CSUSM Female student-athlete of the month.

[Photo] Captain Natalie Lara anchors team

Layda Galvan, Sports Reporter October 29, 2015

Luis Farfan named San Diego Hall of Champion Star.

Luis “Louie” Farfan leaves it all on the field

Outstanding CSUSM soccer player, Luis “Louie” Farfan, has been named both a San Diego Hall of Champions Star and CSUSM Male Student-Athlete of the Month for September. “I was coming...

Men’s soccer team determined to overcome doubt

Layda Galvan, Sports reporter October 15, 2015

The men’s soccer team at CSUSM has experienced ups and downs this season, but they won’t be deterred so easily. The Cougars rank seventh in the CCAA with a win-loss-tie record of 3-4-1...

De La Hoya represents Hispanic culture through boxing success.

Oscar De La Hoya brings sense of Latin pride

Layda Galvan, Sports Reporter September 30, 2015

The former Latino professional boxer, Oscar De La Hoya (42) also referred to as “The Golden Boy”, is well-known for his unique abilities and achievements that he has accomplished throughout...

Meeting our women’s soccer team: Elizabeth Maass Player spotlight

Layda Galvan, Sports Reporter September 29, 2015

This is a woman who demonstrates great dedication, is hard working and has a lot of determination with a great future in her soccer career.  Elizabeth Maass (19) plays with the number 16 for the Women’s...

Load More Stories