Freshmen ready for academics and independence

Alexa Garcia, Features Writer

Going to college is one thing, but having to relocate from your home is a huge step in a student’s life. From the time leading up to day one, to your first steps on campus.

Students do not know what to expect when entering their first year of college. Is it going to be hard? Are you going to make friends?  Better yet, are you going to get good grades? All these questions go unanswered until the student gets out there and gives it a shot.

Bianca Redon, a CSUSM freshman, had all these questions floating through her mind, before starting at CSUSM.

“My family [is] very supportive of my education and goals, that really motivates me to do [well].”

When transitioning into college, having a strong support system helps make this transition go smoother.

Rendon wasn’t just nervous about the move, but says, “I’m nervous about the transitioning of becoming independent.”

However,  despite her hesitation she made the choice to pursue her academic career here at CSUSM, “I chose CSUSM because it felt more [like home] and the determining factor that made me choose it, was the fact that I felt more connected to [this] university than others,” said Rendon.

Rendon settled into her new home at the QUAD and chose to be a part of the many student organizations on campus.

“I plan on joining the Pre-Veterinary Club and I’m currently in the ROTC program,” said Rendon.

Rendon is a prime example of the type of student CSUSM brings in each year – individuals thriving to reach their career goals.

Now that Rendon’s first week of college is behind her, she offered her best piece of advice to next year’s incoming freshman.

“Be prepared and make sure you’re informed about everything.”

CSUSM offers a wide variety of resources to help make students educational career easier. Don’t be hesitant to take advantage of the extra help and resources provided to the student body.

Here’s to a new academic year of achievement and motivation to do great!