“SANCTUM”: A 3D UNDERWATER THRILLER

BEN DEARINGER
PRIDE STAFF WRITER

An underwater cave diving team sets off to discover the last unexplored place on earth. However, at the onset of an unexpected tropical storm, the team, led by Frank (Richard Roxburgh), is trapped underground and forced to dive deeper into the unexplored terrain in a desperate search for escape.

Executively produced by James Cameron, “Sanctum” is a 3D underwater thriller that attempts to push the boundaries of 3D moviemaking and visual stimulation: a worthy goal had “Avatar” never been made. Though visually impressive, this film’s use of 3D effects is pointless, and it can likely be an effort to acquire more revenue, as the film requires moviegoers to spend $3 more per ticket. Making the movie 3D is a questionable attempt by the filmmakers to boast a more impressive opening weekend profit.

With the acting performances being mediocre at best and a poor story development, “Sanctum” relies on intense, overdramatized action scenes to sustain a mild sense of interest. The audience feels as though they are holding their breath along with the divers, awaiting the next possible chance for a gasp of fresh air. This intensity is the only attention keeper for the movie’s 103 minute runtime, as the first 30 minutes are especially sluggish.

Though semi-entertaining, “Sanctum” is a dismal follow-up for Cameron’s groundbreaking movie “Avatar,” and it seems as though having Cameron’s name on the poster is the one and only selling point.