CAMPUS CONTINUES TO MOURN GREEK TRAGEDY

OWEN HEMSATH
PRIDE STAFF WRITER

Four California State San Marcos students and fraternity brothers of Sigma Alpha Epsilon were sentenced to 80 hours of community service and three years probation in connection to the alcohol related death of  fellow fraternity member, 19-year-old Patrick Drown, reports the Los Angeles Times.

San Diego 10 News reports that on Aug. 19, 2009, the fraternity hosted an event that prompted “[a]n investigation conducted by the Alcohol Beverage Control Commission [which] showed alcohol was flowing freely at the party where, according to the investigation, most people in attendance were under 21.”

Drown became intoxicated before he walked out of the house where he was fatally struck by a BMW. The driver was not charged, authorities reported.

San Diego Superior Court sentenced four SAE members for violating the city of  San Marcos’s “social host” ordinance, 10 News reports. The fraternity members and their lawyers reached a plea bargain that will have them serve the community either in on-campus alcohol awareness programs or in victim impact panels hosted by Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD), according to 10 News source, Summer Stephen, prosecutor.

SAE named Drown “Brother of the Year,” as featured on their website www.csusm.edu/sae.

According to www.socialhost.org, social hosts’ laws are enacted to discourage party hosts from enabling underage drinking at parties.  The law states, “it is the duty of any person having control of any premises, who knowingly hosts, permits, or allows a gathering at said premises to take all reasonable steps to prevent the consumption of alcoholic beverages by any minor at the gathering.”  The fraternity has not returned requests for comment.

One of the men involved with the case has agreed to a follow-up interview. He has not consented to  a comment at this time.

ALCOHOL AWARENESS FACTS

Underage drinking is still the leading factor in death for youth ages 14-25.

Alcohol use by youth poses health risks for bodies and minds that are still maturing; it clouds judgment and interferes with developing social skills and academic achievement.

Many youth report they drink specifically to get drunk which puts them at high-risk for serious problems including traffic crashes, homicide, accidental injury, suicide, violent crime, sexual assault, alcohol poisoning, neighborhood vandalism, drowning, and unplanned sex.

Substance Use
63.6% of CSUSM Students used alcohol within a 30-day period, versus 94.9% perceived.
14.5 % of students used cigarettes within a 30-day period, versus 87.9% perceived.
14.6% of students used marijuana within a 30-day period, versus 85.7% perceived.

Sexual Health
16.7% of CSUSM students had unprotected sex under the influence of alcohol within a 12-month period.

Mental Health
45.6% of CSUSM students have felt overwhelming anxiety within a 12-month period.
43.9% of students have found finances to be traumatic or very difficult to handle.

*Statistics provided by Dean of Students Office at http://www.csusm.edu/dos/index.html