THE KELLOGG LIBRARY: CSUSM’s CAMPUS JEWEL

MORGAN HALL
LAYOUT ASSISTANT

With the Kellogg Library being five floors high and nearly 200,000 square feet, some might feel that the library is too confusing and won’t take the time to explore what the Cal State San Marcos library has to offer.

Students who do take the time to check it out will discover a wealth of resources and a friendly staff that is eager to help you with any questions.

Construction for the Kellogg Library began in 1996 and ended in 2004. It bears the name of multi-million dollar donors Jean and W. Keith Kellogg II. Today, The Kellogg Library is home to roughly 300,000 volumes, print subscriptions, e-journal titles, computer files and e-book titles. The library’s website, http:// biblio.csusm.edu/, contains research databases, an online card catalog and a live librarian chat, among other services.

Only accessible by the elevator or the stairwell next to Starbucks, the first floor of the library contains the Math Lab, Writing Center, and several classrooms. Most students call the first floor the “dungeon” because there are no windows and it is darker than the rest of the floors. Because it is partially underground, cell phone service on this floor can be weak.

The second floor of the library can be most easily accessed from the outside doors next to Craven Circle. This particular floor is home to the media library, the student help desk and the open computer lab. The media library has over 10,000 pieces of “media” and can provide DVDs, CDs, VHS tapes and even film editing equipment for research or recreational use. This section of the library has several conference rooms equipped with TVs and media playing devices.

Directly across from the media library is the Student Help Desk where students can rent out laptops and other media devices for several hours. They also have separate media rooms available on a first-come-firstserved basis to students who are not media or arts majors.

The third floor of the library is likely most familiar to students. This floor is the library’s central “hub” where students can check out books or use the reference materials. There are seventy-eight computers that students may use for research or printing documents. Students can purchase and load print cards on the third and the second floors. The third floor lobby hosts a gallery of student art throughout the semester.

The fourth and fifth floors are very similar to each other. Both floors contain most of the library’s books, have multiple desks around the outer edges and contain group study rooms. It is possible to get lost easily on these two floors because there are multiple directions of books and several relaxing coves with comfy chairs throughout the floors.

On the fifth floor, the Reading Room is a perfect place for relaxing, reading, and working. Lighted tables, several sofas, and a fireplace add a unique and calming ambiance to this room in the library.

For those willing to look around, the Kellogg Library truly is an indispensable resource for CSUSM students.

Photos courtesy of Morgan Hall