SUMMER SCHOOL CLASSES AVAILABLE: REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN

NANCY ROSSIGNOL

Summer session offers hundreds of classes for students who might need one more class to finish their degree, to complete the foreign language requirement or to catch up on a missed class.

April 4 begins priority registration for currently enrolled Cal State San Marcos students while open enrollment begins April 16 for students from other universities, community colleges, high school seniors and community members. Students can go to www.csusm.edu/el/summer for the complete list of available classes.

According to Sarah Villarreal, Director of Student Services and Marketing for Extended Learning, the different colleges at CSUSM choose courses based upon what students need for degree completion or offer electives not normally offered during regular sessions. Extended learning courses differ from CSUSM courses because they does not use any state funds. They are “self-supported” through student tuition and fees, Villarreal said.

Summer session is from June 4 to August 13, separated into two blocks. The first block is June 4 to July 9 and second block is July 11 to August 13,  which includes afternoon, evening, weekend and online courses from a variety of disciplines at CSUSM or Temecula campuses. Summer classes are regular academic credit courses, transferable to other institutions. Students can use up to 24 credit hours toward a CSUSM undergraduate degree or nine credit hours toward a graduate degree. Financial aid is available for students who have remaining funds for the 2010/11 academic year.

Continuing CSUSM students can register at MyCSUSM. Non-CSUSM students can register via the Extended Learning web site.  Undergraduate tuition is $275 per unit plus $407 in student fees.  Non-CSUSM student tuition is $345 per unit plus $12 in student fees.

Photo courtesy of csusm.edu