EMERGENCY SYSTEM TESTING: CAMPUS POLICE TEST NEW SYSTEM TO HELP STUDENTS DURING A DISASTER

OWEN HEMSATH
PRIDE STAFF WRITER

Students on campus Thursday morning April 14 may have heard the alarm of the Campus Police Departments Emergency Notification System in its first full-scale test during normal business hours. According to an email sent by Police Chief Ronald Hackenberg, the test message sent audio alerts clearly identifying the test nature of the alarm through classroom speakers and staff member telephone speakers. The test procedure also broadcast text alerts to students, faculty and staff through campus email accounts, cell phones and personal hand-held devices for those who have voluntarily signed up to receive emergency alerts, Hackenberg said.

Additionally, the test ran checks on the security of doors, workspaces and other areas. In a statement published on the University’s web site, Chief Hackenberg reported errors with these elements of the system, “We also had issues with door locks, external speakers, and some inconsistency in text messages.” He went on to thank students and staff for the instant feedback they had received during the test. The ENS was designed to inform students, staff, faculty, and family members of, immediately aware of danger or emergency situations.

Those wishing to receive automatic text messages and automated cell phone calls in the event of an emergency can access the following link: http://www2.csusm.edu/ep/Alert/. Family members and friends can also sign up for alerts.

Photo courtesy of csusm.edu