AMY SALISBURY’S “THE MUG”- FREEDOM OF THE PRESS: IMPORTANCE OF MEDIA TRANSPARENCY POST 9-11

AMY SALISBURY
COPY & OPINION EDITOR

As I sat down to write this article, I expected to offer commentary on the American media’s coverage of the events of 9/11. The vast and varied ways that television, film and print journalism told the story of the attacks made for extremely compelling capsules of information that still have relevance all of 10 years later.

Within that commentary, I expected to be critical of the media; I wanted to explain why revealing the president’s location on 9/11 and airing footage of people jumping out of the World Trade Center buildings was beyond the responsibility of media.

The more I considered the subject, however, I uncovered a different angle to this type of response (which is rather common among those who express an opinion, it seems). While many sought to criticize the media for their comprehensive coverage of the day’s events, others understood the intent of the reporting and realized its importance within a free society.

This concept of “media transparency” is an irrefutable asset to the American public. Should the media cover up events in order to maintain an advanced state of public order or government secrecy, the concept of freedom would cease to exist as fast as true journalism would. Media, as a service to the public, preserves transparency so it may preserve freedom.

All media outlets, from the largest metropolitan newspaper to the local dailies, have got to report the whole truth. For the years that I have been with The Pride, I have experienced the good, the bad and the ugly that comes with covering events that happen on campus. True journalism seeks the whole story and reveals it accurately and ethically.

Journalists often feel confused or threatened by the concept of revealing sensitive or controversial information, but those in the business of reporting truth must do just that.

As the editor of the Opinion section, I encourage the students, staff, faculty and community to report truths by writing Letters to the Editor addressing issues that The Pride’s readers deem important and worthy of exploration. Our small staff of student writers trusts our readership to bring issues to our attention.

Photo courtesy of CSUSM.edu