COUGAR PRIDE: THE BEST OF HOMECOMING WEEK

BRIANNA CRUZ
PRIDE STAFF WRITER

This week, Sept. 26 – Oct. 1, our third annual homecoming week takes place, with multiple campus spirit events presented for CSUSM students.

Some of the most notable events are the Polynesian Festival, CSUSM Cougar Spirit Event, Alumni Employee Luncheon, CougarFest (the equivalent to last year’s Homecoming Festival), the Homecoming Game and BBQ and the infamous Masquerade Ball. The Homecoming Committee has been building new traditions over the last three years and the events vary every year.

“[Homecoming] is a week to unite students, faculty, staff and alumni with university pride and create a sense of tradition. It is a week that highlights school spirit and promotes and supports our athletics teams,” Sara Gallegos said, Associate Executive Director of ASI and member of the Homecoming Committee.

The Polynesian Festival occurs today, from noon – 1:30 p.m. in the Library and Forum Plaza.

For the first time ever, CSUSM has adopted the classic homecoming tradition of a homecoming King and Queen. Students cast votes online from Sept. 19 to today. Eight candidates ran for king and 11 candidates for queen. The top three candidates will be announced during CougarFest on Thursday, Sept. 29. Winners will be crowned during the homecoming soccer game, at 2 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 1.

Students are encouraged to come to CougarFest on Thursday, Sept. 29 not only to hear the top three candidates for Homecoming Court but to also see the amazing food trucks selling meals to guests. Foods available for purchase will be from restaurants such as Carl’s Jr., Hot Dog on A Stick, Flippin’ Pizza, Sweet Treats and Super Q BBQ.

Students, staff, faculty and community members are invited to support our women’s and men’s soccer teams as they play against Bethesda University Oct. 1. The women’s soccer game starts at noon and the men’s soccer game takes place at 2:30 p.m.

You can get more information on how to vote for King and Queen and a list of homecoming week’s events at www.csusm. edu/homecoming.

Flyer courtesy of CSUSM.edu