THE PRIDE PLAYLIST: GLEEK OUT

JULIANA STUMPP

The third season of “Glee” premiered Tuesday, Sept. 20. It introduced a new array of songs and displayed the casts’ many skills in classic rock anthems, musical numbers and even hip-hop and pop arrangements. The new season featured songs such as “We Got the Beat” originally by The Go-Go’s and “You Can’t Stop the Beat” from the Broadway musical, “Hairspray.” In honor of the new season, I have created my own playlist of the top “Glee” songs performed in previous seasons. I’ll spare the readers by not mentioning the cast’s Journey cover, “Don’t Stop Believing.”

In the first season, Kristen Chenoweth’s character April Rhodes performed the song “Maybe This Time” alongside William McKinley’s Rachel Berry, played by Lea Michele. The song is from the musical “Cabaret.” I do not follow musicals, but really enjoyed this song and Broadway Star Chenoweth was impeccable in her vocal range.

Characters Puck (Mark Salling) and Quinn (Diana Agron) realized they were going to have a baby, but couldn’t choose her name. Puck sang “Beth” originally by ‘80s band KISS. The heart-warming ballad was touching, especially for a character with such edge. The background vocalists offered support physically and musically.

Will Schuester, played by Matthew Morrison, performed the final song of season one, “Over the Rainbow” with Puck playing the ukulele beside him. This song was the perfect ending for season one because it is such a classic, put a tear in my eyes and kept the audience on the edge of our seats for season two.

Season two’s Britney Spears themed episode skyrocketed “dumb blonde” cheerleader, Brittany S. Pierce (Heather Morris) to a viewer beloved character. Brittany exposed her amazing dancing talents. The song she sung and danced to, “I’m a Slave 4 U” and other popular Britney hits, shocked the audience and made Brittany an instant favorite member of the “Glee” cast.

Season two also introduced viewers to the character Blaine Anderson (Darren Criss) created a buzz around “Glee’s” William McKinley High and for Gleeks everywhere. Saying goodbye to boyfriend Kurt (Chris Colfer), Blaine and competitor glee club, the Warblers, performed the song “Somewhere Only We Know” by Keane. This song melted viewer’s hearts because it musically intensified the love between Blaine and Kurt.