THE PRIDE’S HALLOWEEN FAVORITES

“Halloweentown Series”

The Disney Channel Original movie, “Halloweentown,” which first aired in 1998, follows the story of a young girl, Marnie Piper, who finds out she’s a witch. She and her siblings, Dylan and Sophie follow their grandmother on to a flying bus and are taken to “Halloweentown” where Marnie has to learn her powers and help save the town from a masked villain. The “Halloweentown” series consists of 4 movies, “Halloweentown” (1998), “Halloweentown II: Kalabar’s Revenge” (2001), “Halloweentown High” (2004), and “Return to Halloweentown” (2006). – Brianna Cruz

“Hocus Pocus”

Most of my Halloween memories included watching “Hocus Pocus” every year. The memories of seeing three sister witches try to steal the souls of young children everywhere while a teenage boy, his romantic interest, his younger sister and their cat, Binx, is a tradition that I don’t think will ever end. – Melissa Martinez

“The Rockey Horror Picture Show”

“The Rocky Horror Picture Show” is must see to give your Halloween season a bizarre twist and a taste of transsexual humor. Break out of the box with the video or going to the live show every Friday night at La Paloma theater in Encinitas. Bring your sense of humor! – Kristin Melody

“The Nightmare Before Christmas”

This film is one that has stuck with me since childhood. It’s easy to get “This Is Halloween” playing over and over in your head and the beautiful stop-motion animation is just as memorable. It may not be as eerie now that we’re older, but this film still manages keep its fun, Halloween charm, even after 13 years. – Rebekah Green

“Re-Animator”

In this fun horror film, medical student Herbert West develops a reagent chemical that brings the dead back to life with devastating side-effects. One memorable scene involves West reviving his roommate’s dead cat, resulting in outrageously comical circumstances. – Kyle M. Johnson

“Edward Scissorhands”

Tim Burton’s 1990, “Edward Scissorhands” is a great movie about love, mystery, and morality. A family takes in a “mysterious scissorhanded man” (Johnny Depp), from the haunted castle on the hill above them to help him fit into modern society. – Jessie Gambrell

“Sleepy Hollow”

Director Tim Burton’s horrific reimagining of the Washington Irving short story “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow” stars Johnny Depp as Ichabod Crane, a New York constable sent to the town of Sleepy Hollow to investigate a series of gruesome murders. – Chris Giancamilli

“The Shining”

“The Shining” is nothing less than timeless horror incarnate: blood flooding elegant hotel corridors never gets old. Jack Nicholson reprises the classic Stephen King character Jack, from the novel of the same name as the film, with Stanley Kubrick directing. And get this: John Lennon’s song “Instant Karma” inspired the writing of the 1977 novel, and Lennon was killed the same year as the film’s release. Spooky. – Amy Salisbury

“Seven”

“Se7en” stars Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt as detectives as they take on a case about a mysterious murderer who kills individuals by the sins they act. This great, unknown thriller will definitely keep you on the edge of your seat. – Juliana Stumpp

Photos courtesy of Amazon media