“THE MUG”: CULTURED COSTUMING

AMY SALISBURY

“Mean Girls” is one of my favorite movies. The entire thing is full of extraordinarily hilarious one-liners, but one sentence within one scene rang truest to me: “Halloween is the one night a year when a girl can dress like a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it.”

Although you could say that’s kind of true, Halloween does not constitute an excuse to wear a costume limited to lingerie and animal ears. In fact, originality is not that far away if you know where to look.

This year, consider cultural relevance, conversation over controversy and creativity when choosing your costume. For your convenience, here is a list of a few of the most topical costumes for this season’s celebrations.

Wall Street

You’ll need a Styrofoam poster board painted like a road. Wait for it.

Instead of being part of the 99 percent or even part of the one percent, here’s your chance to be even more ironic than the Occupy Wall Street neo-hippie protesters themselves. Execution: paint your poster board like a road, go up to people and hold up the poster in their faces whenever they try to do anything at all. The effect will be especially hilarious if your significant other dresses as money and applauds you.

Presidential Candidates

You’ll need a power suit and a convincing thumbs up.

This option is especially easy and offers a lot of versatility for those who don’t want to buy a new outfit for the night. Pick your favorite candidate (like Texas governor Rick Perry or career flight attendant Tom Miller) and go to town. Find a good, appropriate prop to enhance the mockery.

Steve Jobs

You’ll need a black turtleneck, blue jeans, glasses and a winner’s smile.

What better way to honor the world’s leading technology innovator than to actually be him for a night? Don’t even say “It’s too soon.” The worst thing that could happen is someone uses an iPhone to record your Jobsy antics and then puts it on Facebook using a Mac. It’s a win-win.