Dropping 9/14

Media Credits:

Thumbnail: Linkin Park “A Thousand Suns” album

Above Image: Prince of Persia

Albums:

The Walkmen – “Lisbon” – Fat Possum/Bella Union

The Walkmen had their start in 2000 and are now approaching the release of their sixth album, “Lisbon.” Having been together for nearly 10 years, The Walkmen’s unique sound has been compared to that of The Cure, but they continue to stay themselves while making new additions to their sound with each album, choosing to break away from the more familiar independent and garage types of music like The Hives or The Strokes. They toured in support of their album to a few festivals last spring, including All Tomorrow’s Parties in England, and Lollapalooza in Chicago. This month, The Walkmen are touring around the U.S., as well as Vancouver and Toronto, Canada. In support of their new album, The Walkmen are selling copies of “Lisbon” with original designs from etsy.com (check them out! http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheWalkmen).

Weezer – “Hurley” – Epitaph Records

When you see the cover of Weezer’s new album there is no need to double take. Indeed, it is a photo of Jorge Garcia also known as “Hurley” from the television series “Lost.” Whether or not there is a connection between this character and the album, “Hurley” is Weezer’s eighth anticipated album. Weezer as a band has existed since 1992 and although they have expressed influence from The Pixies, Nirvana and Green Day, with each album their sound manages to stay original, yet always evolving. “Hurley,” which is up for preview on their Myspace (http://www.myspace.com/weezer) shows off Weezer’s signature rock sound that still manages to be new and even fun. The album also features Michael Cera providing back-up vocals on one of the tracks. The deluxe edition of “Hurley”, which can be purchased on Itunes, includes a few bonus tracks and a cover of Coldplay’s “Viva la Vida.”

Linkin Park – “A Thousand Suns” – Warner Bros. Records

These days one needs only to mention Linkin Park and the tunes of “In The End,” “Faint,” and “Numb” begin ringing through ears. September 14th is the release date of their latest studio album “A Thousand Suns.” Linkin Park, already known for their impacting lyrics and unique musical style, seem to have done it again. Many critics already praise this new album for its sound and impressive writing. Chester Bennington and Mike Shinoda continue to share vocals, which can be heard on the album’s first single “The Catalyst,” released this past August, along with other songs on the album. The band also worked off of their influence from the renowned hip-hop group, Public Enemy. Following “Minutes to Midnight,” “A Thousand Suns” cumulates nearly two years of writing and recording into a fourth full-length album from the band known for their mixture of rock, rap and other devices, making Linkin Park a name to be recognized.

Dvds:

“Letters to Juliet” – Gary Winick

Sophie Hall visits Italy with her fiancée and encounters romance in a very unexpected way, turning into a sort of “Juliet” after finding a lost letter amongst the many love letters placed in the supposed real home of Juliet Capulet. Following this discovery, Sophie eventually finds the sender, Claire, and decides to help the woman find her long lost love, Lorenzo Bartolini. Along the way Sophie too discovers more about herself and her feelings as she travels alongside Claire’s grandson Charlie. Director Gary Winick’s previous works include “13 Going On 30,” “Charlotte’s Web,” and “Bride Wars.” Amanda Seyfried, Chris Egan and Vanessa Redgrave star in this sweet tale of discovering love -old and new – and trusting destiny.

“Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time” – Mike Newell

Based off of the “Prince of Persia” video game series, “Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time” follows just about the same premise as the Ubisoft game franchise. The film tells the story of Dastan and his discovery of a sacred dagger that can turn back time. With this knowledge he winds up on an adventure with a princess named Tamina, and unveils a web of political treachery amongst his own family. This film comes from director Mike Newell (“Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire”) and producer Jerry Bruckheimer (producer of the “Pirates of the Caribbean” films) and is distributed by Walt Disney Pictures.  Starring Jake Gyllenhaal, Ben Kingsley and Gemma Arterton, “Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time” is another action driven, Disney-friendly film that both adults and kids can enjoy.

“Just Wright” – Sanaa Hamri

“Just Wright” stars Queen Latifah as Leslie Wright, a physical therapist not seeking to “belong” to a man, living with her god-sister Morgan. Rapper Common plays Scott, a professional basketball player who takes a romantic interest in Morgan. Following a threatening injury that could affect Scott’s career, he begins to see that Morgan was only in interested in him for the money and fame, and that Leslie, his new physical therapist, is the one who truly wants what is best for him and his future. The chemistry between the two actors (and music icons) flows well within the story and the feel of the film. This is director Sanaa Hamri’s seventh film, following works such as “Something New” and “The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2.” “Just Wright” is a film with a simple romantic plot that still has its charms.