Upcoming Concerts

Upcoming Concerts for the week of September 21-26:

By: Ashley Day

Thumbnail Photo: Muse

Above Photo: The Black Keys

Autumn is fast approaching (according to almanac.com it officially starts on September 22!) and with the arrival of autumn comes a fantastic variety of bands touring through San Diego County. Here is a preview of concerts happening this week:

Phoenix with Neon Indians (Tonight, Sept. 21 at 8 p.m.)

Where: San Diego State University (SDSU) Open Air Theatre. The event is all ages. Ticket prices range from $41-52 (service charges included) or there is a pack of four tickets available for about $80. Phoenix is an alternative rock band from the suburbs of Paris, France.  The band has 5 albums behind them and have been featured on countless movie soundtracks, such as “Lost in Translation” and “Virgin Suicides” (where lead singer Thomas Mars met his girlfriend – and baby mama – director, Sofia Coppola). The band has been around for approximately 10 years, but has recently gained mainstream attention with radio hits “1901” and “Lisztomania” from their newest album “Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix.”

Muse with Passion Pit (Wednesday Sept. 22 at 7:30 p.m.)

Where: Viejas Arena at Aztec Bowl, SDSU. This event is all ages. Ticket prices range from $62.50-$73.90 (service charges included) for general admission seats. There is also a $10 fee for parking.

Muse formed in 1994 and originated from the United Kingdom. NME magazine describes Muse as a “fusion of many music genres, including progressive rock, alternative rock, classical music, heavy metal, and electronica with recurring themes of revolution.” They’ve recently gained worldwide recognition – and an entirely new fan base – after having been featured on all three of the “Twilight” movie soundtracks.

The Black Keys (Saturday, Sept. 25 at 7 p.m.) Where: Soma San Diego, located in Point Loma. This event is all ages. Ticket prices are $30 even. It is a general admission concert (standing room only). The Black Keys show is currently sold out, but there are ways to try to get tickets. If you arrive at the venue early enough, there will be a line waiting outside for entry into the show. Since the event starts early, I would suggest getting down to Soma around 3 o’clock to ask people if they have extra tickets available. Usually, someone’s friend has bailed out on him or her, so the person has an extra ticket he or she would be willing to sell to you. But beware of ticket scalpers! (People who buy concert tickets with the specific intent to resell them.) Purchasing tickets from scalpers is illegal if it occurs on event grounds. If nobody has an extra ticket, then go to the box office (located in the front of the venue); sometimes, Soma will open up more tickets to buy. Bring extra money to the show. You may not bring a water bottle inside with you, but bottles can be purchased at $2 apiece once inside.

The Pixies (Sunday, Sept. 26 at 8 p.m.) Where: University of California San Diego’s Rimac Arena in La Jolla, California. This event is all ages. Ticket prices are $53.50 (service fees included). This concert has no assigned seating. It is standing room only on a first come, first served basis. The Pixies tour is celebrating the 20th anniversary of their smash album “Doolittle.” They are supposed to be playing “Doolittle” in its entirety. “Doolittle” is available as a free download on pixiesmusic.com. The Pixies are a groundbreaking, classic band and this reunion tour is not one to miss.

You can learn more about each upcoming concert at 91x.com/pages/concerts and sandiegoreader.com/music. Now go out and see some shows!