New athletic director Jennifer Milo has big plans

Jennifer Milo, the new athletic director for Cal State San Marcos.

By Juliana Stumpp

In April, CSUSM got a new athletic director with a familiar face.

Jennifer Milo, the former assistant athletic director to Tom Seitez, was promoted to the top job when he retired last spring. Milo has worked at CSUSM for seven years, starting out as the university’s first softball coach. Before that, she spent three years at San Diego State University as an athletic advisor, helping student athletes maintain a balance between school work and sports.

Milo graduated from the University of San Diego, where she earned her bachelor’s and master’s degrees in liberal arts and college counseling, respectively, was a student athlete and served as assistant coach of the softball team. She spoke recently about her career, her immediate goals and her plans for the future.

Question: What types of sports did you play when you were younger?

Answer: I played soccer and was in competitive swimming. I loved baseball, I was the only girl on the team until I turned 11 then played softball all the way through college.

Q: What past experiences do you have that has prepared you to be athletic director?

A: I worked my way up the ladder. I started off as being a student athlete to being a coach and working in the office setting. All my past experiences have helped mold me and realize how I would run a department.

Q: How do you plan to improve the correlation between the student body attending athletic events?

A: [It’s] one of my biggest priorities. My plan is to open our arms and let students know they are on our team, too. Having students attend games gives a sense of pride and tradition. A lot of changed to get students involved is important to me. I feel students still don’t know we are here and we lack that student voice. We can’t survive in a bubble down here and we have to work with ASI and SLL together.

Q:  Have you always been interested in a career in college athletics?

A: Athletics and sports have always been in my blood.  I have five siblings and we have grown up knowing not just the game but what it takes like goal setting, responsibilities and working with others. I never thought sports and paying bills would work, though. To me this isn’t a job it’s a luxury. [It’s] the greatest job in the world to me.

Q: You have been a part of Cougar Athletics for seven years, what changes have you noticed in your department?

A: There have been seven teams have been added in seven years. I first got here with two staff members and now there are 35. New facilities like the softball and baseball fields were built. There is now $500,000 in scholarships. When athletics started in 1998 there was only golf, cross-country and track and field. After I joined we had our first competitive sport event, soccer, and 800 students came. It was great to see students rally and its something we want to continue to work on.

Q: Why did our campus not get accepted to be in the NCAA status? What strategies do you have to reinstate our standing?

A: Our NAIA (our governing body) position was put on probation because of recurring violations that went against the NAIA rulebook. It is not a matter if we get in it’s a matter of when we get in. The NAIA is targeted for smaller schools and with our high demand of campus growth we are ready to move forward. It is a three year transition.

Q: What contributions do you expect to bring not only as Athletic Director but also to the campus?

A: I am a huge university first advocate. I admire what President Haynes does and leading through the tough budgets. The number one priority is for our student athletes to graduate. I want to get in contact with the Deans’  and see how they can help.

Q:  Have there been previous female directors? If not, how does it feel to be the first at CSUSM?

A: Barbra Barshine helped start the athletic department, I’m not sure if athletic director was a part of her title. I attribute my success to the Title 9 Law which was formed in the 70’s that passed to help women get the same teaching jobs that men have, including sports. There are only 4 percent of female athletic directors in the country so I’m honored to be in that 4 percent and hopefully increase it. Come visit Milo in the athletic department located in The Clarke Field House.