Prop. 32, what’s it all about?

Both sides of the Prop. 32 debate say the ballot measure is a deceptive in who is funding the initiative and who it will help, or hurt.

By Alison Seagle

There is some confusion, especially among students, about the highly discussed Prop. 32, which will definitely affect teachers, unions and special interest groups, but is not to be confused with Prop. 30.

Prop. 32, also known as the “Paycheck Protection” initiative, is a hot topic on the ballot this fall. The ballot measure proposes to limit the political influence of labor unions by banning them from making contributions to candidates’ political campaigns. Contributions made by independent corporations and political action committees (also known as PACs) would be unaffected.

If Prop. 32 passes, analysts estimate it would cost more than $1 million to implement the law, but that amount could be offset by fines levied against violators.

The “Yes on 32” campaign is running with the slogan “cuts the money tie between special interests and politicians.” One argument is that the teachers’ unions focus more on teachers’ benefits, seniority and tenure than on the education that students receive. Without political protection, it would be easier to lay off teachers who are no longer meeting standards and are just using their tenure as a shield.

The “No on 32” website’s slogan is “stop the special exemptions act.” Opponents claim the proposal is written in such a way it will unfairly block labor unions from supporting candidates. The top contributor to the No on Prop. 32 campaign is the California Teachers Association. Various firefighters, law enforcement and nurse associations are also included in the.

Prop. 30 is designed to raise money for California schools through a quarter-cent sales tax increase for four years and a tax hike for taxpayers who earn over $250,000 a year for seven years. This proposition does not address unions and political contributions. If it does not pass, CSU student tuition will rise 5 percent on the day after the election.

Polling has shown that votes for and against Prop. 32 have been very close. With all of the huge contributions that have been made to both the “Yes” and “No” campaigns, the outcome of the election for Prop 32 is being watched with great anticipation.