Police Beat: September 26-29

Sept. 26, 1:40 a.m.

University police officers arrested Harlan Geernaert, 18, non-student, Poway, for a minor in possession of alcohol. Officers saw him crossing parking lot O, in front of the UVA, with a large bottle of rum and he appeared to be under 21 year of age. He received a misdemeanor citation and was released.

Sept. 23, 11 p.m.

University police received a phone call about a noise complaint at the UVA, when they arrived at the dorm they found an individual walking around intoxicated from alcohol. Omar Rojas, 18, non-student, Escondido, was taken to Vista county jail, as he was not seen fit to care for himself. He then released on his own recognizance.

Sept. 29, 12:30 p.m.

A theft was reported to the campus police. Lab equipment was missing from Science Hall 2, 345A. The theft occurred sometime between Sept. 22 and 29. The missing item was described as a wave function hardware key, valued at $800.

If anyone knows anything about this incident, please contact CSUSM police at 760-750-4567.

Sept. 29, 11:30 a.m.

University police officer arrested a UVA staff member for being intoxicated from alcohol at the UVA. Esther Weedon, 52, Chula Vista was not seen fit to take care of herself and was taken to Vista county jail. She is not facing any criminal charges or prosecution.

View Comments (1)

• B

Brian DawsonOct 14, 2010 at 11:13 am

Dear Pride Staff,

On the 10/12/10 issue of The Pride on page two, it states “University police officer arrested a UVA staff member for being intoxicated from alcohol at the UVA. Esther Weedon, 52, Chula Vista was not seen fit to take care of herself and was taken to Vista county jail.”

I writing to ask that you correct this on your next issue. Esther Weedon is a CSUSM employee and not a UVA employee. We are a small department on campus that consists of private employees working for the campus. We have developed much of the alcohol education for CSUSM and we pride ourselves with being leaders in alcohol education. With this passion for alcohol education and a reputation to uphold it is important for us not to be labeled as having drunken staff who are arrested.

If you cannot make the correction, please notify me.

Thank you so much,

Brian Dawson, M.S.
    University Village Director

Reply