Political Corner: Military Cuts

Flags in front of the Veterans Center proclaim patriotism. Photo by Sarah Hughes
flags in front of wall

By Nada Sewidan

Military budget cuts threaten the future of several U.S. military service men in reserve and active duty.

The size of military troops in the Air Force, Army and Marine Corps are being reduced in order to accommodate impending budget plans. CSUSM veteran students personalize this issue and explain what to expect.

The Marine Corps is projected to decrease its size by 5,000 troops in the following three years reducing the military from approximately 190,000 to 175,000.

The Air Force also faces cutbacks of roughly several thousand troops through 2019. Likewise, the Army estimates that more than 100,000 soldiers will be cut to a force of 420,000 by 2019.

Formally in the Marine Corps, CSUSM student and Student Veterans Organization president Claudia Oreegal said that cutting military personnel will cause “lower morale” within the military. Oreegel suggested budget cuts should instead be implemented in other areas in the military where money is possibly being wasted.

Several military personnel have already been or are in the process of being let go from their service with limited benefits. Some high ranking officials are also affected by budget cuts and maybe forced to retire early with reduced pension plans.

Numerous military troops will soon have to decide what to do once they are discharged from their military duties. CSUSM student and former Marine David Acosta considered the positive outcomes of military cuts on CSUSM.

“There will be an influx of new veterans using the GI bill which gives more money to the school,” Acosta said.

As discharged military look for options after service, budget cuts may lead them to going to college. Yet budget cuts continue to concern those whose morale is affected and those who are forced to retire.