SENIOR FAREWELL: My time at CSUSM

Screen Shot 2014-05-22 at 7.40.49 PM

By Mary Green

Contributor

As I reflect on my experience here at CSUSM, I find that it would be nearly impossible to accurately describe it using only 500 words.

I can tell you that as a 17-year old freshman, I didn’t know what to expect when I decided to move away from my home, step outside my comfort zone and pursue a college education at CSUSM. Although my journey was nothing like I had imagined it to be, it turned out to be the most beautiful ride I have ever been a part of. For me, when I think back to my college experience I won’t think about having to learn the Kreb’s cycle or mitochondrial biogenesis frontwards and backwards. It won’t be the memory of learning about the developmental life span of a child or the differences between a gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria, because my experience at CSUSM was a lot deeper.

College for me was about forming lifetime relationships with my teammates, roommates and classmates. It was about getting my ideas challenged by my classmates but inspired by the sharing of each one of their passions and goals for the future. It was about gaining wisdom from professors like Dr. Laura and coaches like Ron Pulvers and also being reassured that they truly believe in you. It was that high you get after winning a championship game, but the feeling you get when you lose a game and can look up at your teammates and still say to yourself, “Wow, I am blessed.” It’s about realizing how much you miss the little things about home and finally appreciating everything your parents have given and taught you. It’s about going through an ACL/MCL knee injury, learning the true meaning of patience and realizing there’s more to life than just soccer. Not to mention, the indescribable feeling you get when stepping foot on the soccer field for the first time after 10 months of continuous rehab.

I think it is safe to say college for me was about finding myself. As I embark on the next part of my journey and attend graduate school at Johns Hopkins next fall, I will keep a little bit of CSUSM near to my heart. I am forever grateful for the lessons, the successes, the fails and the people that surrounded me at CSUSM, for I wouldn’t be where I am today without them.