‘Buds’ rather than just counselors: Ombuds Office works to make difference

By: Katlin Sweeney

Editor-in-Chief

Creating a safe space for students, faculty and staff to express their concerns and find pathways towards success is one of the highest priorities of the Ombuds staff.

The Ombuds Office is a unique space on campus in which individuals can discover what resources are available to them and talk through issues such as communication difficulties, conflicts with peers or individuals with more power than them. Because it is separate from administration and is completely confidential, all students, faculty and staff can use this resource without worrying if their feelings will cause problems at work or school.

Dr. Fritz Kreisler, from Student Health and Counseling Services, has been part of the Ombuds staff for a few years and has spoken with faculty and staff about personal issues as well as those that arise in the workplace. He has discovered that many times, individuals are in need of guidance to direct them as to how to best address conflict, what the policies and procedures at CSUSM are and how to find solutions.

“I think that it helps to find actual pathways, bring people together and sometimes work towards a compromise,” Kreisler said. “It is amazing how much you can sort it out into this or that. We look at the options you have, how you can move past things and sort out issues while shedding light on them.”

Dr. Kara Kornher, from Disabled Student Services, joined the Ombuds staff eight months ago to serve as the consultant for students. She has found that all students can benefit from an open, informal conversation with someone that is willing to listen and help.

“It is the opportunity to see problems get solved and to see people take responsibility, and take charge, of what is happening to them,” Kornher said. “This way, they do not feel like a passive victim. They have choices, options and they can make informed decisions.”

Both Kornher and Kreisler credit the Ombuds Office for being a unique resource in the sense that neither of them will repeat any of the information that is told to them and they do not keep records of who visits the office. Any notes that are taken during a session are immediately shredded to keep the highest degree of confidentiality in place.

“We are not advocates and we do not have the power to make policies or say individuals should be punished,” Kreisler said. “It is a completely safe and confidential space where people are able to address their confusion and feelings before searching out a formal process to change things.”

The only circumstances in which either Kreisler or Kornher will speak about what goes on during a session are if the individual says they are going to hurt themselves, threatens to kill someone, speaks of child abuse in their household or other issues that legally require the listener to report it.

For more information on the Ombuds Office and to schedule an appointment, visitwww.csusm.edu/ombuds/