Extended learning: CSUSM self-support division, Learning in school and beyond

By: James Massengale

Web Assistant

Extended Learning offers exciting opportunities to students that they may not be aware, or take advantage of.

Laura Segall, Marketing and Public Information Officer for CSUSM Extended Learning, discussed the opportunities Extended Learning (EL) has to offer for CSUSM students.  Segall explained how the breadth of programs, courses and certificates are extensive and present a myriad of possibilities for students.

Extended Learning is not just responsible for organizing Summer Session and Winter Intersession. This educational arm of CSUSM operates all the international programs for the university, such as Study Abroad. It also simultaneously takes steps to involve businesses in the region (e.g. ViaSat)—businesses and organizations which CSUSM students may one day enjoy working for.

This fall, Extended Learning offers its usual programs in Science, Business and Legal Studies, to name a few, but also introduces a new program in water leadership, with another program in cyber security on the way.

Programs for credit are not the only opportunities available for CSUSM students. There are several certificate programs offered as well. Tasting room management is one of several courses involved with the budding, or experienced, sommelier’s growth in the wine industry. Wine is not the only thing under the Californian sun, EL also offers certificates in digital arts, education and paralegal work.

“All of these programs help prepare people for jobs,” Segall said.

In addition to the programs and certificates offered, Segall explained how affordable Extended Learning programs are.

“The cost of our programs truly reflects what they cost,” Segall said.

Extended Learning is the “self-support division” that benefits the community at not-for-profit rates. There is an added bonus according to this fall’s Extended Learning Catalog: CSUSM Alumni Members may actually receive a 15 percent discount on “most non-credit programs.”

As students continue to graduate,  there may be a remarkable growth of the extended learning program.

“We started a Temecula campus in 2009 that is 100 percent extended learning,” Segall said. “This fall, we’ve started a second Temecula campus at the Old City Hall building in Temecula, which is a partnership between Mount San Jacinto College, CSUSM Temecula and the City of Temecula.”

On top of the new buildings that will benefit incoming students, Segall informed that EL has grown by about 20 percent a year for the last three years.

“Of the 23 CSU’s, Extended learning at CSUSM, last year, ranked number 10 in terms of revenue generation,” Segall said.

Segall suggests for CSUSM students to look at the website at csusm.edu/el, review the catalog and discover what Extended Learning can offer.

View Comments (1)

• K

Kylan AlghanlySep 25, 2014 at 8:06 pm

Great post by a great up and coming writer.

Reply